PG Music Home
Posted By: edshaw Composition Puzzle [Resolved] - 03/19/20 10:27 AM
Here's something that has been puzzling me. Quite sure I have been making more of it than needed, but here goes:

Link #1 is to 2011 piece of mine in A-D-E-A titled "Street Scene" because it fits "Streets of Bakersfield." It also fits, "In Heaven There Ain't No Beer."
https://soundcloud.com/ed_shaw/amajstreetscenenov16th2011

Link #2 is to a video of Dwight Yokum and Buck Owens performing that same song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qItru7hZqzU

Now, here is my puzzle. Notice that my rendering is simple 4/4 and 1-4-5-1 (Repeat) In Buck's and Dwight's rendition, a musical break appearing to be four beats follows every line. How do they accomplish that? Is that a fill? Is that played on the second A of the progression? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Posted By: duncanwhyte Re: Composition Puzzle - 03/29/20 06:58 AM
Id say both you and Dwight are using the same chord pattern,repeated in the same way; with no additional bars from Dwight. But your feel is more on the beat and Dwights is more on the up beat.

You could shift Dwights melody bang onto the beat, but it would not be pleasing. It swings along better if sung over the chord pattern.

Even when the accordion player comes in to solo he waits slightly to pick up the feel, but the chord pattern is consistent throughout.

Posted By: edshaw Re: Composition Puzzle - 03/30/20 12:03 AM
Originally Posted By: duncanwhyte
Id say both you and Dwight are using the same chord pattern,repeated in the same way; with no additional bars from Dwight. But your feel is more on the beat and Dwights is more on the up beat.

You could shift Dwights melody bang onto the beat, but it would not be pleasing. It swings along better if sung over the chord pattern.

Even when the accordion player comes in to solo he waits slightly to pick up the feel, but the chord pattern is consistent throughout.

Thanks Duncan. You are telling me the same 4 X 4 bar pattern
in 1-4-5-1 (Rpt) can work with either the fill or the wall to wall, dependent upon the timing. I have been told the Mariachi or Mexicali feel has to do with this emphasis on the upbeat. We also know that Buck Owens, known for the Bakersfield Sound, is also associated with Tex-Mex, a fusion form of Southern Texas and Austin. I'll go back into it and see if I can get a handle on it. Gracias.
Posted By: duncanwhyte Re: Composition Puzzle - 04/01/20 07:49 AM
Try the Roy Uptempo Classic Country from the Style Picker. That should be a good basic upbeat feel to practice on.
Posted By: edshaw Re: Composition Puzzle - 04/05/20 07:34 PM
Thanks, Duncan. I'll try it.
© PG Music Forums