PG Music Home
Posted By: AudioTrack Learnings from Music Masterclasses - 08/06/20 01:36 AM
An interesting article that discusses learnings coming from constructive feedback through music related master classes.

What software teams can learn from music master classes
Posted By: MountainSide Re: Learnings from Music Masterclasses - 08/06/20 08:18 AM
That was a very interesting video at the bottom. But overall...wow! Having to compete for an opportunity to be publicly judged by a Master Musician brings back a lot of bad memories.

In my younger days, I used to go to high school band and orchestra competitions. As part of this, there were always solo competitions where you would perform in front of several judges and a small group of others waiting for their turn to perform.

I was woefully prepared and feared the runs in my toccata and fugue piece. Not more than 10 measures into my complete destruction of the piece, I froze and stared at all those dancing black notes. I was lost! I started over...even worse this time. Walked out, got disqualified. Thus ended my young career as a serious musician.

Since then I have come to understand that I am a technician and not a musician...a hardware junkie who is fascinated by what technology can do. BIAB / RB and synths have brought me back into the fold...but no more panel judging for me!

Jeff
Posted By: DebMurphy Re: Learnings from Music Masterclasses - 08/06/20 03:04 PM
Ahhh, competition. My niece went to one where she was given a scale to play. I don't remember what the scale was now but at the time I remember going home and looking the thing up. Except for maybe in classical music, I don't think anything was ever played in that scale.

She froze.

...Deb
Posted By: Frank Alves Re: Learnings from Music Masterclasses - 08/07/20 01:31 PM
I took part in a master class given by classical guitarist Christopher Parkening many years ago. He stopped me after a few bars to tell me my guitar was out of tune. I had to tune in front of him and the rest of the class (no electronic tuners allowed). However, I was one of five students chosen to play at a post class mini-concert. And, I did use my electronic tuner (one of the first on the market back then) to tune back stage.
© PG Music Forums