PG Music Home
Posted By: pghboemike Playing with a backing track - 06/12/21 12:09 PM
Posted By: edshaw Re: Playing with a backing track - 06/12/21 04:23 PM
Good find, Mike. I'll work with this one.
Thanks for posting!
(ed)
Posted By: mrgeeze Re: Playing with a backing track - 06/13/21 08:52 AM
Some good basic info. Thanks

Software for playing/practicing with backing tracks is important.
Features I find are helpful learning/practicing a song:
The ability to loop a section of a tune .
The ability to slow down/speed up tempo to "get it right" before getting it fast is very helpful.
Sometimes I like to change key to see how the song may sound in other keys.
If I make the tracks sometimes I'll pan a certain instrument hard left/right. I can drop that instrument out of the mix if I feel like it. Maybe the drummer actually shows up for practice!

For practice and gigging I use Anytune Pro. Besides those listed above Anytune has many features for someone who uses backing tracks.

I'm happy to say I used Anytune last night at a gig. Tips were light but the check will clear and the steak they fed me was first class. The gig went well and nobody asked to sit in.

There is a free IOS/Android version of Anytune for your phone/tab. Check it out if you practice or perform with backing tracks.

I do not work for Anytune. I think its a solid piece of code for this application.
Posted By: edshaw Re: Playing with a backing track - 06/14/21 01:11 PM
That looks pretty good, Mr. Geeze. Apple product. Something that combined rendered BIAB wavs with a variable speed player could be cobbled together for traditional non-shredders.
What I'm seeing, David Pots' is addressing the gap created the lack of bass line skills attributed to contemporary guitar players resistance to sight reading. Books of sheet music of most of the great rockers' songs are in every music store. People don't want to learn sight reading. That's where tabs come in. For me, I quickly come up against the usual barrier with respect to tabs.
This is not to say that David Pots has not recognized areas of instruction and practice that should be addressed. He has. However, for example, to conceptualize the note of E as "D --- 2 ---" seems to me to be asking for problems.
© PG Music Forums