PG Music Home
Posted By: DebMurphy Learning to play - 08/17/22 07:08 AM
Folks, I had an interesting conversation with a mother yesterday that made me wonder:

Lessons or self-taught on your instrument of choice?

I take lessons because:

* I like having someone there for guidance about what I am doing right and wrong
* I like music theory
* I want to be pushed a bit in a direction I would never have thought of (Jimi Hendrix for example. Who would have thought I would learn 3 of his songs.)

...Deb
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Learning to play - 08/17/22 09:04 AM
Originally Posted By: DebMurphy
I would never have thought of (Jimi Hendrix for example. Who would have thought I would learn 3 of his songs.)

Do you plan to post your songs?
Posted By: MarioD Re: Learning to play - 08/17/22 09:47 AM
When I started guitar there were no guitar instructors available in my area so I was self taught. Fortunately I played trumpet and French horn so I had a head start on reading music. I used the old Mel Bay method to teach myself.

Today with an abundance of guitar instructors, some good and some not so good, I encourage any starting guitarist to take lessons. The biggest thing I noticed as I was teaching guitar that a lot of self taught guitarist had developed bad techniques. Bad habits are harder to correct then starting out with the proper techniques. YMMV
Posted By: DebMurphy Re: Learning to play - 08/17/22 02:58 PM
I have in the past. Nothing currently.

...Deb
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Learning to play - 09/18/22 01:33 AM
Quote:
Bad habits are harder to correct then starting out with the proper techniques.

Totally agree. This is a critical point and may even make the difference between continuing or giving up. it's much better to start on the right footing.
Posted By: mrgeeze Re: Learning to play - 09/18/22 11:59 AM
take lessons.

find a teacher who will teach you to play the music you like.

For me, that was the hook.
50 years later, I still play almost every day.

Looking for a teacher as we speak.
Posted By: edshaw Re: Learning to play - 09/19/22 09:02 PM
If possible, Deb, maybe the kid could join the school band. I've seen some amazing results.
© PG Music Forums