PG Music Home
Posted By: Teunis Surge appears to be a really good free synth - 05/17/23 04:14 AM
I often see folks wanting sounds. The last few weeks I’ve been once again playing around with sound mainly on an iPad. In looking at various options I came across a couple of really good options that work on many platforms.

Surge is a free synth that really performs and has many good presets also a wealth of info on how to use it on YouTube and other places.

Another really good free software device is Dexed which is a software version of a DX7. It is quite complex with 1000s presets around including the originals. This even works well on an iPad. A bit different on a PC but is easy to put into a DAW. There is a free loader for it on a PC.

Just a couple of options for those looking for instruments and/or sound crafting options.

Have fun all

Tony.
Thanx Tony.

Surge looks very interesting. I'm going to DL it later.

I can vouch for the DXed. It sounds really good. I had no problem installing and using it on a PC.
Hi Mario, yes DeXed works fine as it is in stand alone mode. When I went to download the app it said it needed a “wrapper” for standalone mode. However there was an upgrade and the wrapper is not required. Works a treat as it is.

The original “Master Collection” of “Cartridges” did not install with the version I got but is was easy to find. The “Master Collection” contains the Original Cartridges which truly are incredible. For the uninitiated a Cartridge is the DX term used for a set of 32 patches. Based on the 1980s way of doing stuff. There are 1000s of Cartridges out there and a heap of lessons on YouTube.

Surge is a Hybrid Synth with a number of oscillators and LFOs etc. it is extremely flexible and a great learning tool for those wishing to learn how sound is done. There is any amount of training on YouTube.

I hope someone benefits from this. I often see folk asking for good sound files there two synths give such an opportunity.

Tony
Surge modules can be loaded in and used as a part of both VCV Rack and Cardinal. These are pretty good modules. VCV Rack and Cardinal are available as free Euro Rack simulators on PC and Mac. There is aPro version of VCV Rack which allows installation as plug in a DAW. Cardinal will works as standalone or plugin.

There are many free modules and YouTube tutorials available for either. This looks to be a really good way to get your head around how synths operate and provides to tools to do really complex tasks (also very basic ones).

Just more ways of getting really good instruments IMHO

Tony
© PG Music Forums