PG Music Home
Posted By: SaberTooth21 Efficient/Accurate chord input - 05/19/23 06:29 PM
Good afternoon all,

I was wondering if anyone has an audio-to-midi (polyphonic) recommendation which would accurately interpret the chords and rhythm of acoustic guitar parts into midi for streamlining the chord input in BIAB?

I know Melodyne is supposed to do this very well and I probably just need to step up and get at least the “editor” edition, but would be grateful to find an acceptable solution for less $, so any suggestions to that end would be appreciated.

I use a fair amount of chord extensions and have found that ChordAI most accurately interprets the chords from audio, but it’s midi conversion is not great, and when I’ve used it to import into BIAB for chord input, it doesn’t come across accurately and requires a lot of tweaking.

Lastly, I noticed BIAB accepts imports in ABC Notation format. Does that format usually result in accurate chord input, and if so, does anyone know an app that can convert a PDF chord chart into ABC?

Thanks!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Efficient/Accurate chord input - 05/19/23 07:41 PM
On the PC side is a function called ACW, Audio Chord Wizard, that will do exactly what you want. It is under the views tab. You might want to check to see if the Mac side has that function.

{edit} I just did a search and found out the Mac does have that function. Here is the tutorial on using it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_bubziESro

Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Efficient/Accurate chord input - 05/19/23 08:30 PM
Interesting post.

I have Melodyne Editor but I never used it to determine chord names. I didn't know it could do that. I'll have to try some experiments.

The ChordAI app does do a fair job of interpreting chords in audio. It's probably the best I've tried so far. The Audio Chord Wizard in BIAB is powerful but it requires tweaking and I think it is still limited to two chords per measure.

You're the first here I can recall who requested info about ABC notation format. I don't know; I've never even tried it with BIAB and I just use Music XML. My scanning software can produce that. When you get a chance, I would be interested in why you would like to use ABC instead of Music XML.
© PG Music Forums