PG Music Home
Posted By: DrDan Simple Mix - Piano and Vocal - 05/20/23 08:12 PM
Still some things to work out with the performance, but can anyone comment on the vocal / piano mix? Should be so simple, right? But that is far from the truth.

Fly me to the Moon - Piano and Vocal Mix
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: Simple Mix - Piano and Vocal - 05/20/23 10:38 PM
That is a mighty fine cover of Fly Me To The Moon! First, huge points for even attempting something Frank did so beautifully. And second, well, you did a damn fine job of singing, playing and mixing! You can be proud of this one.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Simple Mix - Piano and Vocal - 05/21/23 10:39 AM
Thank you John for the kind words.

This was a bucket list song for me to cover. I have tried in the past to sing this, but with no success. It is generally up tempo and swings hard, but this more straight/slow version, with solo piano backing (which is avialable), seemed to call to me.

Plus I have recently discovered a new (free) Reverb plugin (REmatrix) which, to my ear, works well with my voice. And I have a bit more experience now with Isotope's Nectar and Ozone and Neutron to feel like I can now hear what these tools are doing.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Simple Mix - Piano and Vocal - 05/21/23 12:46 PM
nicely done

Sometimes simple is best.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Simple Mix - Piano and Vocal - 05/21/23 08:56 PM
Here are a few other things I could add to spice things up... grin

Posted By: Planobilly Re: Simple Mix - Piano and Vocal - 05/22/23 12:33 AM
Cool stuff Dan.

Any mix ideas I would come up with would be pretty subjective.

You could experiment with volume automation for the piano track to try to get a little more dynamics. Slight decrease when the vocal comes in.

I would also experiment in the 1.5K to 4K range of the vocal to give the consonants maximum intelligibility.

Billy
Posted By: DrDan Re: Simple Mix - Piano and Vocal - 05/22/23 05:04 PM
Yes, I like the idea of volume automation of the solo section. Done. Also a little more work in Melodyn to fix some pitch. Then I took some left-over vocal takes and made another full track. Panned the original vocal track hard left and put the new vocal track hard right. Essentially full unison singing with exception of a time I went for the high note on the orginal vocal and not a second time. Too much? Should I have stopped when I was ahead? grin

Fly Me to the Moon - 052322

© PG Music Forums