PG Music Home
Posted By: pajamahead Sound card for a Desktop PC - 05/04/13 12:10 AM
I had Sound Blaster Live 5.1 Platinum for basic home studio once but it did have midi sounds on it
i am getting a New computer so which of these sound cards is most suitable for it
Asus Xonar D2X or M-Audio Audiophile or Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme audio

i appreciate things have 'moved on' so a bit out of date
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Sound card for a Desktop PC - 05/04/13 12:43 AM
From many years ago, I thought all the Sound Blaster cards handled MIDI through SoundFonts.

Anyway, of the three you mentioned, I am only familiar with the M-Audio line. M-Audio cards are well-known and generally well-regarded, even though inexpensive.

Are you thinking of the 192 or the 2496?
Posted By: silvertones Re: Sound card for a Desktop PC - 05/04/13 12:26 PM
Be aware of the PCI requirements of the card versus what the new computer has for PCI slots. I'm having this issue. I would like to upgrade my computer but can't find an off the shelf unit with regulat PCI slots for my Delta 1010.
Posted By: rharv Re: Sound card for a Desktop PC - 05/04/13 01:08 PM
Yes, keep your eyes open to which slots are available.
I also like M-Audio

John, they do make PCI to PCIe adapters if the box has the room.

Or you can try one of the super deals -
http://www.starsurplus.com/viewitem.lasso?i=OPTI-745-PD34-MAR-5R

3.4 gHz dual core with 2 PCI slots under $200 (only 2 gig RAM but can be increased to 8)
I have not researched this particular model, but they are out there.

Posted By: pajamahead Re: Sound card for a Desktop PC - 05/06/13 01:36 PM
sorry for delay in replying
Posted By: pajamahead Re: Sound card for a Desktop PC - 05/06/13 01:39 PM
cheers
Posted By: pajamahead Re: Sound card for a Desktop PC - 05/06/13 01:40 PM
thanks ..cheers
Posted By: silvertones Re: Sound card for a Desktop PC - 05/06/13 05:44 PM
Originally Posted By: rharv
I also like M-Audio

3.4 gHz dual core with 2 PCI slots under $200 (only 2 gig RAM but can be increased to 8)

Um sounds decent. Let me ask this Bob as you're more up to date on computers then I am.
I'm using your old computer as you know. is this one way above it in performance?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Sound card for a Desktop PC - 05/06/13 08:33 PM
pajamahead, I have a 2496 and I think it's fine.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Sound card for a Desktop PC - 05/07/13 04:46 AM
Originally Posted By: rharv
I also like M-Audio

Bob, what are the differences between Pentium D dual core processors and core duo processors?

This looks like a pretty good deal. I am about to replace my 2004 vintage desktop, as things have been grinding to a halt lately and no virus issues to speak of.
Posted By: rharv Re: Sound card for a Desktop PC - 05/07/13 11:02 PM
Since you asked
http://www.techspot.com/community/topics...ck-speed.96914/

Value depends a lot on the point of view.
This would be a significant improvement for the system John mentioned and easily upgraded (to a point).
John is replacing a system I retired a few years ago. It just won't die. So I know a little about how much faster it would be for him.

Like I said, I haven't researched this particular model. What triggered the search was finding PCI slots on a Win7 board. They're out there. I bought a MB recently and the Delta 1010 plays nice w/W7 in my experience. (which brings this topic back on track)
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Sound card for a Desktop PC - 05/08/13 03:09 AM
That deal looks pretty danged good no matter what. I'm in the market for a very low rent desktop box for web surfing/kid use.

-Scott
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Sound card for a Desktop PC - 05/09/13 01:26 PM
Most of the decent interfaces will be USB.

What card/interface you need depends on what software you are using and how you use it.

The factory cards tend to do OK with audio but when you throw in a few soft synths you quickly run into latency issues with the synths. So if you playback a project in RB with audio and synths, the music tends to be out of synch to one degree or another.

I export all my tracks to Sonar. When I got started back into recording and mixing I purchased a Focusrite Saffire Wirefire interface. I don't really recommend the FW interfaces since they can have chip compatibility issues, so go with a USB based interface that can run native ASIO drivers and you will be OK.

M-Audio, Presonus, Focusrite, are among the good ones to choose from. All of these are in common use, and use ASIO drivers and have a good track record with low latency. In my DAW, I can play the synth tracks (multiple synths all active) and it syncs perfectly with the audio.

BTW: I know you are asking about a desktop.... my current DAW is a custom built desk top box.... I still use the external firewire interface with it and it works perfectly. By using an external interface (USB) you can just as easily plug it into your laptop and use it to record or mix.....
Posted By: mikelawson07 Re: Sound card for a Desktop PC - 06/02/13 07:08 PM
Well right now i am not using any type of card but whenever i will use it i think i will consider some brand by searching through internet and then finalize to whom i should go.

http://www.customstickers.us/
© PG Music Forums