PG Music Home
Posted By: niquya Accordion + sound module + foot pedal - 07/04/13 03:59 PM
Hi all,

I play an accordion, using the reeds, but it also has a midi system installed and I'd like to explore that a little, especially cause I have shoulder and feedback problems during gigs.

Basically I'd just want something simple, small size, with which I could preset a selection of sounds I like and activate them in live with a foot pedal (e.g. FS6 Ketron). Nothing fancy, I'm not into becoming a one-man band orchestra.

I dont know much about midi systems and sound modules. I saw the Ketron SD2 has good reviews, but I have no idea whether I can actually set it up with a foot pedal. I guess I would have to do the pre-selection on a computer and somehow program them with the pedal ? Other option is one with controls, like Ketron SD4, but I'd really like foot controls and small gear.

So after all that, main question is:
Can I setup a foot pedal with the Ketron SD2 and my accordion midi output, with pre-selected sounds (for both right hand and left hand) ? Any other suggestion ?

Thanks a lot !!
Yannick
Posted By: furry Re: Accordion + sound module + foot pedal - 07/05/13 07:36 AM
I use an excelsior 940. I have the Solton MS40 a predesessor to the sd2. It's quite a large gadget but has loads of wonderful sounds and styles. Works well with a couple of pedals. At the other end of the scale is the brand new Limex desktop. Fabulous new module developed for accordions. it's 1/3 of the size but pricey. Limex also do an internal soundcard, where no exterior module is needed. All sounds & styles are accessed by a small monitor that sits on the end of your accordion. you can even download MP3 backing tracks into this machine. Wonderful !! Again, it's pricey, but the sounds are marvellous. There's also the other module I use which is a Roland MT32, small, with no rhythms, but some fairly good sounds. Nice piano for left hand work. My advice is to use something that other players use, some modules don't work well with accordions. I've found that out to my cost years ago.
Posted By: niquya Re: Accordion + sound module + foot pedal - 07/05/13 10:06 PM
Thanks a lot ! The MS40 sounds like a good option, but I'd really like something lightweight (7kg versus 0.9 kilos for the SD4 for example).

mmmh not sure it actually exists, even the SD4 is apparently not usable with a footswitch (although there's a modified version here that does it: http://scotlandaccordions.co.uk/MIDI%20Expanders/Ketron%20SD4%20with%20control%20pedal).

Any other inputs on lightweight sound modules usable with footswitch for accordion ?

Thanks !
Posted By: Mac Re: Accordion + sound module + foot pedal - 07/06/13 01:01 AM
The SD4 can be used with a standard programmable MIDI footswitch.

You are responsible for reading and understanding the owner's manuals for both devices and programming the footswitch to suit the commands, such as Patch Changes. Not rocket science, and you can just set the footswitch up to send the standard GM MIDI changes alone and get quite a lot of sounds, or you can delve into programming the pedal to select sounds from the SD4's Upper Banks as well.

The same can be done with the little SD2 as well.

Here is a link to the Behringer corp. website description of their programmable MIDI Foot Controller, a good and affordable choice IMO:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/FCB1010.aspx

--Mac
Posted By: Steven55 Re: Accordion + sound module + foot pedal - 06/23/14 04:25 PM
What about the Roland BK-7M? I have to replace my MS40 and I'm looking at this Roland module. Does anyone have experience with it using a MIDI accordion?

My MS40 rubber is falling apart. It has become soft and sticky and rubs off on your hands. What's up with that?

thanks
© PG Music Forums