PG Music Home
Posted By: pooch Peel Me A Grape - 09/28/13 01:28 PM
Attempting a version of Diana Krall's 'Peel Me A Grape', but simply cannot get the push right on the 2nd chord... any help would be much appreciated !
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Peel Me A Grape - 09/28/13 01:47 PM
In RB you can highlight a section and crtl drag it, don't know if that will work for you are not.
Posted By: Mac Re: Peel Me A Grape - 09/28/13 02:57 PM
Originally Posted By: pooch
Attempting a version of Diana Krall's 'Peel Me A Grape', but simply cannot get the push right on the 2nd chord... any help would be much appreciated !

|Am..d / ^Dm7...d /|

Where the Am on beat 1 is a Shot for all instruments except drums.

And the Dm7, entered in the beat 3 cell is Pushed by 1/8th and also a Hold is invoked for all instruments except drums.

You can also choose to Rest the Drums in both as well, which is what Dianna's band does for the entire song, basically. For most performances, though, I think the drums in there help, especially using RealDrums. Brush Kit.

The Chord Settings Window, by rightclicking on the bar and choosing it, will show you all these choices.

"Peel Me a Grape" -- Written by Dave Frishberg in 1962, is one of my favorites when I happen to have a "sassy" female vocalist to back up. This one became a Jazz Standard literally all at once.

http://davefrishberg.net/

Anita O'Day's recording and performance of this song is, IMO, the essential starting point, and, of course, Dianna Krall has put her version to the top by doing the same kind of thing that the late great Nat King Cole could do with a song, literally taking "ownership" of it by recording it.

For the record, Anita:

Have Fun,

--Mac
Posted By: AlastairLC Re: Peel Me A Grape - 10/23/13 03:32 PM
Mac has the push right, but the chords are Am9 and Bb13.
You can see the whole arrangement laid out in her The Very Best of Diana Krall songbook.
Cheers!
Posted By: Mac Re: Peel Me A Grape - 10/23/13 08:37 PM
Yeah, I pointed out that the chords Krall uses are different at some point over the phone with the OP.

Although she uses a Bbmaj9 and not a Bb13 to my ears.

For those who are interested in this thread, the problem is now solved, the OP had a Prefs toggle to disallow Pushes turned off.

--Mac
© PG Music Forums