PG Music Home
Posted By: rockstar_not Portable PA systems from HK Audio - 11/05/13 10:18 PM
Somehow I'm on the HK Audio mailing list. I finally took a look at their product lineup. Interesting mix of what seem to be just the right kind of products for the 1-man-band folks that are here.

Look at this little system: http://hkaudio.us/products.php?id=376

And the others in their line are interesting to me as well.

They sure don't make it easy to find how to purchase in the USA! Now I see that they are distributed in the US by Korg.

Looks like Full Compass carries them as well as Musician's Friend, which also means that I could probably check some of their stuff out from Geetar Sinner.

Anyone here have any experience with this brand?
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Portable PA systems from HK Audio - 11/06/13 02:20 PM
They don't look like the kind of PA a rock band would want.

Acoustic solo and duo's certainly, where it doesn't need to be so loud.

A buddy played on one of those skinny column systems on a cruise ship gig. They provided the PA and it was state of the art. He said that thing was rock solid with quality and volume. He walked in with his guitar and laptop and played music for the passengers every night on it. I forget it's exact name but I recalled it being from Bose.

I think this is it: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/L...LA_All_Products
Posted By: Mac Re: Portable PA systems from HK Audio - 11/06/13 02:48 PM
I don't think this system, with only two smallish driver boxes for the L and R channel, could hold a candle to the Bose L-1 system and its multiple driver stack.

Need for Stereo in Live Sound Reinforcement is not all that important really. I found that out the hard way, running two L-1's simply to take advantage of stereo MIDI piano and the like, didn't prove to sound all that different enough at live gigs to make it worth the doing. YMMV

But looking at the cost of this HK system, at around 700 bucks for the system itself - and then finding out that price does not include the two tripod speaker stands, which are to be purchased separately, adding another ~150 bucks on top - well, I'd suggest putting that combined 950 bucks towards the Bose L-1.

The L-1 does not need separate metal tripod stands, either.

And it travels light and packs a punch.

No need for monitors with the L-1 systems.

You hear what the audience hears.

It really is a pretty nice solution IMO.

And is light as a feather and does not need a dolly to get in and out of the gig. Shoulder strap bag.

--Mac
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Portable PA systems from HK Audio - 11/06/13 03:27 PM
yep....my friend had high praises for it.

Said it was slamming and no need for monitors as you pointed out.
© PG Music Forums