PG Music Home
Posted By: JCJazz Zoom R16 or R24? - 03/23/14 03:29 PM
Hello everyone it has been along time but i am coming back real soon .I am getting 2013ultrapack and want to get one of the zoom recorder/ interface. Real simple question will it work as a controller for RealBand BIAB and PowerTracks pro? I am getting the Ultrapack for sure and really like the zoom . Thanks i just didn't have time to search the forum.
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Zoom R16 or R24? - 03/23/14 06:41 PM
No, I have an R16. you can use it to input record audio into real band and band in a box, but it will not work the faders, you may also have to download an asio type program if your soundcard will not accept asio. Pg has not yet, at least not to my knowledge added a template for zoom. My zoom came with a free version of Cubase LE4, yours probably will have some type of daw, most likely a version of Cubase with it. you can then control the faders with it and mute and solo, you can also program other buttons on the zoom to control pan etc. The way I do my work is I create the song using Band in a Box, then insert them into Cubase; I then record my vocal or instrument to a track in Cubase and mix and master in Cubase. I hope this helps, if you have anymore questions send me a message and I will try to answer them for you!
Posted By: JCJazz Re: Zoom R16 or R24? - 03/23/14 06:52 PM
Thank you so much. Does work with powertracks or is the same type problem?
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Zoom R16 or R24? - 03/24/14 12:52 PM
I'm not a fan of the multifunction recording devices....

I prefer a dedicated ASIO driver based interface that simply does audio and perhaps midi in that one box.

Get a nice condenser mic, and some DAW software if Real Band isn't sufficient for you.

That's all you really need to get a nice studio started.
Posted By: JCJazz Re: Zoom R16 or R24? - 03/24/14 01:08 PM
I am basically looking for a mixer i can use instead of mixing with the mouse and the zoom's seem to work with most DAW so i was hoping it would work with RB and powertracks(I love both programs).
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Zoom R16 or R24? - 03/24/14 04:22 PM
Some folks I know in another forum site use a small, inexpensive Behringer mixer to accomplish this.

It allows more channels for live input mixed down to the output in stereo and acts like a preamp as well.... and I believe it also supplies phantom power for condenser mics.

Using that setup, you would of course have one output into one track.... or at best, stereo.

If you need to have multiple inputs at the same time beyond the basic 2 on most interfaces, a larger interface with a mixer capable of that number of outputs would be in order. Some of the control surfaces available will control the major DAW platforms....

I mix totally in the box so I have no mixer in my studio at all, from the hardware perspective. And the basic 2 inputs is more than sufficient for me.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Zoom R16 or R24? - 03/24/14 04:51 PM
Behringer also has control surfaces which allow motorized sliders/knobs for quite inexpensive outlay. The Zoom R series should allow for independent inputs - quite a bit different than using an analog mixer to mix everything down to two tracks.

I'm a fan of Zoom products in general, my Zoom G5 is a killer guitar amp/effects simulator, and not a bad 2 track I/O device.

Whether or not the Zoom motorized faders can be controlled by BIAB/RB is likely not the case. This likely requires Mackie Control functionality of the DAW, and last time I checked this is not part of the function of PG products. Here's an old wishlist topic on the matter:
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=85978

It's hard to see if the R series faders are in fact motorized. They may not be. If they are not, then it really isn't so much of a control surface as say the Behringer BCF2000 http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BCF2000/ which absolutely has motorized faders.

To the OP, you may want to consider separating the function of what you are looking for - which is more important to you - multiple inputs to simultaneously record, control surface capability (which may eliminate PG products for you), etc. ?

-Scott
Posted By: JCJazz Re: Zoom R16 or R24? - 03/24/14 09:04 PM
Well i love Biab and will be using for along time so i guess when i get real serious about a CD i will do final mixing in different DAW. Unless i get really used to mixing on my Laptop Glad I didn't buy the zoom, it would be amazing if it worked like it does in cubebase oh well. Pumped the get My UltraPlus pack in a week or so.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Zoom R16 or R24? - 03/24/14 10:21 PM
Neither the R16 or R24 have motorized faders. Per PG Music support neither BIAB or RealBand support surface control operation.

The R24 uses components and firmware one generation newer than the R16. The R16 uses the same firmware family and major sound components found in Zoom's HD-8 and HD-16. The R8 actually has more althorythm presets and more input flexability than the R24. The R8 and R24 share firmware families as well as major sound components and are likely the last desktop sized digital recorders that Zoom will make. Presently Zoom is concentrating on the handheld digital recorder market.

Whichever you choose, Zoom makes products with a high feature set to price ratio. I have an older MRS-8 unit that continues to work as well now as it did new in 2007. I've been very happy with it.
© PG Music Forums