PG Music Home
Posted By: csassakb Recording personalized drum tracks - 04/07/14 01:42 AM
All

I just got the 2014 BIAB ultrapak and had a question about something.

I can't yet figure out how to personalize my drum tracks. I know there are tons of drum tracks and backing tracks on BIAB, but I can't figure out how to personalize them.

I have a song I created and none of the pre recorded tracks are working for it.

Help would be appreciated

Curt
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Recording personalized drum tracks - 04/07/14 04:48 AM
Could you please elaborate? What do you mean by "personalize drum tracks"?
Posted By: csassakb Re: Recording personalized drum tracks - 04/07/14 03:19 PM
Matt

Thank you for your response.

Based on what little I know of BIAB, when creating your backing tracks, you pick a style from the pre-recorded tracks in the database and load it on to your track.

I am recording a backing track for "Another Brick in the Wall" by Pink Floyd. If you listen to that song, there is a hi hat (I think that's what it is) cymbal that occurs every four beats and I am trying to recreate it but can't figure it out

Please note, I am new to all this and the answer may be in BIAB, but I am still working at this to learn it.
Posted By: rharv Re: Recording personalized drum tracks - 04/07/14 11:09 PM
I assume by 'pre-recorded tracks' you mean RealDrums (audio).

IMO this takes some 'advanced' effort in BiaB (a little easier in RB IMO).

One thing to try is generating a drum track using a realdrum selection that is not the 'default realdrum' for that style. Auditioning a bunch of different ones to find one that's close helps save time. Look for 'Audition' in the Manual or during the options presented along the path when generating a new realdrum track.

Or try adding the hihat as an additional MIDI event. It is possible to use both MIDI and Realdrums.

Like I said, to me this would be much easier in RB or another DAW.
In RealBand you can take advantage of some things that are currently very hard to do in BiaB, and when you want to start surgically changing tracks, that's the way to go.
It also has many more tracks to experiment with.
Posted By: csassakb Re: Recording personalized drum tracks - 04/07/14 11:16 PM
Hi

Thank you for your help. I do appreciate it. I need to ask. You mentioned I may have better luck in RB (real band?) What is that? Is that another program I need to purchase?

Please note I am new to this aspect of music

Curt
Posted By: rharv Re: Recording personalized drum tracks - 04/07/14 11:35 PM
Realband comes with the package.
A recent version of BiaB would include it for free.

I think this fact is underused in the sales department. It is a huge feature. A nice DAW (with some BiaB features) thrown in for free.
Posted By: csassakb Re: Recording personalized drum tracks - 04/08/14 04:13 AM
thank you. I just upgraded to the BIAB 2014 ultrapak
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Recording personalized drum tracks - 04/08/14 11:46 AM
With BB & RB you can generally get pretty close to what you want in a song.... however, some things will be hard to get these programs to duplicate.

The things that are hard to replicate are things like you mentioned.... where the drums are doing something unique or a certain riff is played. If you are trying to cover a song exactly, it would be easier I think to record the parts using real players who have learned the parts.

Most musicians in some other sites I hang on use some sort of drum synth for their music. Using one of those (I have Jamstix3) allows you to enter the exact part of the kit, in the proper beat pattern that you want played..... you mentioned hi-hats for example.... that is easy as can be using a 3rd party drum synth and editing it in midi.

Since I don't use BB/RB for precise editing on cover tunes, I can't really tell you how that might be accomplished in those programs. I do know, beyond a shadow of a doubt that editing midi in a DAW with either staff or PRV is super easy to do. You're talking about drums but the other instruments, bass and piano for example are also easy to edit in midi in a DAW.

Since BB/RB support VST plugs, you can use the 3rd party drum plugs in it. then simply add that cymbal using the drum synth.....let the Real Drums in BB/RB play if it's playing to your satisfaction....or simply program the drum part in midi and let the plug in synth handle it.

For general style and groove, you can easily find a style in BB that fits, but it's the details that are harder to pin down with just BB/RB doing their thing.

Posted By: csassakb Re: Recording personalized drum tracks - 04/08/14 01:36 PM
thank you
© PG Music Forums