PG Music Home
Posted By: johnnyzell isa card to USB - 04/14/14 02:47 PM
Hi guys: I have an ISA SCC1 Roland card. Is there an adaptor that I can "plug" it into and use it with a USB port?

Dell 27 "All-In-One" core 7, 16 megs, etc. . . .

Thanks, JZ
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: isa card to USB - 04/14/14 09:58 PM
A company called ARS Technology offers an external ISA to USB adaptor board for about $150 US. The price includes the adaptor board and software to emulate a virtual ISA card slot. The price does not include enclosure, power supply or cabling.

Their website is ARSTECH.COM. Search for USB to ISA.
Posted By: rharv Re: isa card to USB - 04/14/14 10:57 PM
That would be cool .. I have a RAP 10

However, the drivers are likely not supported in any recent OS after XP (if that).

OP soundcard (and mine) were meant for 16bit OS, different registry entries, let alone finding a current copy of the drivers that would work (the old install disks have about a 1% chance for success).

I actually acquired an XP machine with an available ISA slot a while back to accommodate this card .. just haven't gotten around to setting it up yet. If I ever do it'll only be so I have a Roland VSC soundbank available. With other more current Roland GM synths available here the need hasn't really risen yet.

You'd have a more likely chance of success adding an old computer to the studio and treating it like a synth sound source (IE keep it offline) than you will making that card functional again in a current OS.

Just my opinion
Posted By: johnnyzell Re: isa card to USB - 04/15/14 11:26 AM
Thank you, Rharv:

Great and "sound" advice. I'll check it out. BTW, I've found that the SCC-1 has sounds that were NOT carried on thru the newer and later synths. I have the exquisite file . . "The Moldau", by Nobou Sugimura, and it only plays correctly thru the SCC-1. I used those sounds on all my older BIAB files so now need to acquire use of that sound card to reproduce those BIAB files correctly. This ARS device sounds like it will fit the bill. Thanks, JZ
Posted By: rharv Re: isa card to USB - 04/16/14 11:26 PM
Yeah, I have recordings from the RAP-10 that do not not sound the same when played on other Roland GM synths, so I appreciate what you're saying. It's closely relaed to the SCC-1 as far as sampled sounds.
I was just relating some things I've learned along the way. Sometimes using a certain device means using an older operating system to accommodate it. Just make sure that system is secured. I figure offline is as about secure as it gets.
© PG Music Forums