PG Music Home
Posted By: stratocaster folder structure - 06/07/14 05:02 PM
How do I structure my folders to make it nice and easy to find files I'm working on, as well as finished song files. As it is now I have my files spread over many folders on more than one drive, have a hard time finding what I recently worked on, ..... I guess you're getting what I mean, advice please !

Strat
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: folder structure - 06/07/14 05:39 PM
I keep work-in-progress folders on my desktop. Everything associated with the project goes inside the folder including sgu files, seq files, doc file for lyrics and a txt file for any project notes I have. The project folder normally has sub folders I create periodically to back up where I'm at; that way I have a known good point to return to when I mess up and start down the yellow brick road. I mess up a lot.

Once a project is completed I move the folder to my storage drive under a folder I call "My Recordings". My storage drive is automatically backed up to a recovery drive.
Posted By: bostonx Re: folder structure - 06/07/14 09:05 PM
I only use 1 folder and back it up to a external drive once a week in the folder when I have my first part of the song down then each time I make a change I save it as a versioned number with the changes above

This way if I screw something up I just load up the last version. I also do this when I change keys (transpose) this way I can try out different keys
Posted By: stratocaster Re: folder structure - 06/07/14 09:26 PM
How do I get RB to point into a specific destination folder for "open" as well as "save"?
Posted By: marty c Re: folder structure - 06/08/14 10:17 AM
Right now, I have my structure set up as:
Songs
- song title
------BIAB
------RB
------WAV

I am not sure about your second question.

Marty
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: folder structure - 06/08/14 04:56 PM
I set up a new desktop folder every year. This year's is called SONG TANK 2014

I keep the songs and WIP songs in there BUT each one has it's own subfolder. ALL files related to that song are in that folder.

If I want to remix something from the past, a simple easy search of the TANK folders is all it takes to find the song in a few seconds. They go back quite a ways.

I don't worry about what folder BB points to when it opens....I click and navigate to the proper folder in a few seconds.
Posted By: rharv Re: folder structure - 06/08/14 09:32 PM
Originally Posted By: stratocaster
How do I get RB to point into a specific destination folder for "open" as well as "save"?

Go to Preferences and then the File tab.

Tinker with the check boxes for 'Long File Names use Custom Open/Save dialogue'
and
'Bootup in folder of last session'
and
'Open and Save As dialogues remember last folder independently'.

Depending on your intent these can help.
Posted By: stratocaster Re: folder structure - 06/09/14 07:31 AM
Thank you all, I'll try out your suggestions!

Strat
Posted By: sslechta Re: folder structure - 06/11/14 12:50 AM
Hey Strat, I commented on this post a few months back:

Managing Files

There's some good stuff there on organizing if you care to take a look.
© PG Music Forums