PG Music Home
Posted By: critter Using TC Helicon Harmony - 08/13/14 05:36 AM
Is there a video tutorial of this? I can't seem to find it I am sure there is. Thanks
Posted By: marty c Re: Using TC Helicon Harmony - 08/18/14 11:24 PM
Hi Critter,
Try http://www.pgmusic.com/videos.bbwin.htm. Look under intermediate, bottom left, second from the bottom. Hope that's what your looking for. At least that's where it is on my iPad.

Sorry we haven't responded earlier.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Using TC Helicon Harmony - 08/20/14 03:33 PM
Critter, using the TC Helicon to create this harmony will result in vocal tracks that have a certain "canned" or "fake" sound quality to them.

In the example video, this is evident in the resultant vocals toward the end of the tutorial.

However.... you can still use TCH as a tool. Use it to select and create one vocal part at a time or, from the pop up TCH window, lower the volume of the other tracks it generated, and use that track to learn the part and sing it to a new track in real time.

I have not used TCH in my work in either manner. I have however, used my midi keyboard with a piano sample loaded to play harmony notes for myself and for other singers who were having a problem "finding" the right harmony melody. Using punch recording, I was able to get the harmony parts nailed by using this method, every single time.

Another, third possibility is to use pitch correction software such as Melodyne to alter the part. I have used this on a song called Coming Home...On my website>my music>page 2..... on the part "I'll kiss your lips..." in the first section, that part was created by manipulating very carefully a lead/unison vocal part with Melodyne. I don't recall what other harmony parts in that song were done that way but I know that one was.
Posted By: rharv Re: Using TC Helicon Harmony - 08/20/14 11:14 PM
The included Helicon can be used effectively in one pass. Depends on your needs.

If you expect to be able to customize the sound of a generated track to perfectly match a given voice, you will reach frustration. But if you realistically use it to generate harmonies as background vocals (note 'background' where nobody is scrutinizing them) it can be serviceable.

There are better tools out there (for $$), but being included for free it does a decent job at what it does.
One key 'tip' would be to learn how to use a MIDI track to control what each background vocal is singing; this allows you to then control if a male sings these notes, or a female .. and this aspect alone can make a huge difference in the results.
© PG Music Forums