PG Music Home
Posted By: Beachboy PG Music to Sonar X3 question - 09/25/14 01:45 AM
A question for any Sonar users.
Normally I use Cubase but now I'm having a look at Sonar X3 to export & finish my PG Music stuff.
I've searched but cant seem to find an answer to this:
Can you have a bar offset in Sonar (similar to Cubase) so that the Sonar "Time Ruler" has an "offset" ie -2, so that the Realband/BIAB tracks come in on Bar 1 (after count-in) rather than Beat 3?
Thanks
Col smile
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: PG Music to Sonar X3 question - 09/25/14 11:14 AM
I use Sonar as my DAW.

Sonar allows you to easily click and grab the audio clip and slide it in either direction. You can do this with the snap to grid setting off, and place it anywhere in the time line OR, turn the snap to grid setting on, select a resolution such as quarter note and it will automatically snap to the closest quarter note spacing ...... or eight note or half or measure.

As a side point.... using the snap to grid allows you to make flawless edits as well..... no clicks at the edit point. No need to cross fade.

BTW: if you export the files from BB/RB directly into Sonar and have Sonar set to the proper tempo as well, there will be 2 measures of count in and the song starts on M3 B1. After the mixing is done, simply use an audio editor to trim the count in.
Posted By: Beachboy Re: PG Music to Sonar X3 question - 09/25/14 11:39 AM
Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
So, when you do your import, although you have the Realband/BIAB tracks (including lead in) the Sonar Bar Ruler has No. 1 as the first Bar number and not -2 and the song starts on Bar 3. Is this correct?
In Cubase you can have an "offset" so music starts on Bar No. 1 and the count-in is -2, -1.
Col
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: PG Music to Sonar X3 question - 09/25/14 12:31 PM
Yes, that is correct. There is no offset in Sonar as far as I know.

I simply export the tracks out of real band, where I generate the fiddles, steel, bass, etc.... and import them direct into Sonar being sure that the time line NOW marker is set to the very beginning of the track.

The tracks come in with the 2 measures of silence that BB/RB puts on them for it's count in. That lets me start all my songs on M3 B1.... and the drum count in is what I hear. I shut off the Sonar metronome totally.

Here's what the Sonar project looks like. You can see how the tracks line up and the music starts where it's supposed to..... you can see the count in as well.

Posted By: Matt Finley Re: PG Music to Sonar X3 question - 09/25/14 12:55 PM
Using BIAB tracks gives you the two-measure silent intro (lining up at the song's MIDI tempo) as shown above. This actually does what is supposed to be done anyway. Audio engineers always leave some space at the start of a project; it never starts at the absolute beginning.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: PG Music to Sonar X3 question - 09/25/14 03:40 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Using BIAB tracks gives you the two-measure silent intro (lining up at the song's MIDI tempo) as shown above. This actually does what is supposed to be done anyway. Audio engineers always leave some space at the start of a project; it never starts at the absolute beginning.

Agreed. Even before I was using BB/RB I was starting at the 3rd Measure in... Just to give me time to get ready and for any pickup notes that might start the song.

Even though Sonar will let you start at the very beginning.... it's never a good idea to do so.
Posted By: Beachboy Re: PG Music to Sonar X3 question - 09/25/14 09:04 PM
Again, thanks for the replies.
I also leave the space upfront for the same reason.
It's no big deal but I find the "offset" convenient when you want to "tweak" something on say bar 25 on the score, you just go to bar 25. I'll just have to learn to Add 2 and go to bar 27. smile
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: PG Music to Sonar X3 question - 09/25/14 09:26 PM
Yes, as it has always been. When I record in the studio, I listen at home afterward for corrections that need to be made and take note of both the measure number and the elapsed time. Then, once we find that same spot back in the studio, we know what the precise offset is from my notes to the studio's master.
© PG Music Forums