PG Music Home
Posted By: Kreska Covers - 07/30/15 05:04 PM
Hi folks, I'm new to the forum. I've been using BIAB and Powertracks Pro since it first came out!

I intend to use BIAB in my own compositions and I'm thinking of doing some covers.

Has anyone else tried this? I'm working on a cover of 'Dimming of the Day'and the real-tracks slide guitar is just so damned good...

Would be good to hear if anyone else has tried cover songs using mainly BIAB.

Cheers

Kreska
Posted By: jford Re: Covers - 07/30/15 06:10 PM
The thing about cover songs is that the accompaniment won't sound like the cover song. You'll have to put in the hooks and riffs yourself. But BIAB will provide a good backup band to the song.

Lots of folks have posted about how BIAB just doesn't sound like the song on the radio. Well, there is no database of all the songs on the radio and the styles to match each one at the correct bar with the correct instruments. That's just not going to happen. You'll have to audition a bunch of styles and instruments until you find something you like, or roll your own.

But with a proper chord progression and good choice of styles or instruments, you can definitely do your own take on known songs. If there is something that makes the song unique, however, you either have to play it yourself (or record it to the soloist or melody track), or create your own MIDI style that mimics the original song. Of course, at that point, that style will be pretty much good only for that song, so it might make more sense just to play those parts yourself.

Others may wish to chime in, as well.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Covers - 07/30/15 06:56 PM
I've done a bunch of covers with BIAB. You can't exactly nail the original, but in most cases, it's pretty close. It's a brilliant program, and an even better company.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Kreska Re: Covers - 07/31/15 04:26 AM
Thanks for replying.

I'm not interested in making it exactly the same as the original - so maybe calling it a cover is the wrong word to use - for me a cover is my interpretation/take of a song -
Posted By: Kreska Re: Covers - 07/31/15 04:53 AM
Great. Thanks.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Covers - 07/31/15 08:39 AM
If you are simply going to do "your version" of a cover, then yes, BB/RB will do a fantastic job.

If you go to a bar and listen to any cover band, 98% of them are doing interpretations on the songs anyhow..... not too many bands do exact covers.

Back to BB/RB covers.... every now and then however, BB/RB will do an amazing job on a cover. Depends on the style. However, it will not play the human creative aspects of the song.

I think it gets closest when you can play the guitar and keyboard parts yourself. I have one cover that I used BB/RB for drums and bass..... and I played the guitars myself. It sounds amazingly like the original band's version. Except for the vocals.....
Posted By: Kreska Re: Covers - 07/31/15 10:02 AM
Thanks Guitarhacker

yes, I'd never want to make an exact copy of a song - but using BIAB for backing has worked out really well for me, I can just fill in with guitar and piano where needed, as living remotely means I don't have access to players - realtracks have been a G-dsend!

I was only wondering if anyone else has had success in this area. Just sharing really not needing advice :-)

Dimming of the day: Realtracks, drums, bass, violin & slide guitar
Vocals, picking guitar and orchestral strings (Symphobia) done by me

All in all - I could have accomplished this by JUST using Nuendo/vst instruments but BIAB real tracks provide that professional touch. YAY BIAB!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Covers - 07/31/15 10:06 AM
Whether a cover or not you can comp (cut and paste) multiple regenerations of RT's to more approximate the sound you are looking for. I'll comp rhythm tracks for better fills and vocal support. Often an eight bar solo on one of our songs consists of pieces of several RT generations and it took many more regens to get those several that are comped. I mostly comp at the bar level but go smaller at times to maybe just a couple of notes to get the "right" intro into a solo or the best transition back into the vocal or second solo RT. it sounds tedious but I find it fun.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Covers - 07/31/15 10:33 AM
I do covers and I have a lot of success and fun using BiaB. Like others I do play some of the parts myself. Sometimes I'll play bass, guitar, guitar MIDI controller, wind controller and a little simple keyboard while other times just either the guitar or wind controller.

Although I do use RTS and RDs most of my work consists of MIDI parts.

I also use Notes Norton fake book discs, http://nortonmusic.com/

They give you the exact fake book chords and a style in BiaB format. This saves me a lot of time as I do not have to type in the chords. You might want to check them out. Note that I do not represent Norton Music in any fashion, I am just a fan of these discs.

Good luck and have fun.
Posted By: Kreska Re: Covers - 07/31/15 10:35 AM
Absolutely. Regenerating real-tracks is so important for that 'one bar'even. I've got 3 bits of violin for one solo violin part. I haven't comped smaller than a bar though, I might try that. I agree - doesn't matter how long it takes :-)
Posted By: Kreska Re: Covers - 07/31/15 10:40 AM
Thanks for sharing MarioD.

I think most of us wouldn't be happy with BIAB alone but it's such a pro sound to back up an existing track and where else could you get pro musicians to play in your bedroom when required! ;-)

Glad you're having fun too. :-)
Posted By: dani48 Re: Covers - 07/31/15 02:20 PM
Hi, Kreska !

I´ve done it !

see my message to you !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: jford Re: Covers - 07/31/15 06:22 PM
I've used BIAB arrangements often for CCM covers (Contemporary Christian Music), especially for songs by Rich Mullins, Steven Curtis Chapman, Michael W Smith, Casting Crowns, MercyMe, etc.

Folks seem to enjoy it, so I'll take that. I will usually play piano or electric piano (on my keyboard) along with it while I sing the song, but sometimes instead do brass fills or string pads. Just depends on the song.
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: Covers - 08/01/15 04:57 PM
Yes, this is why I purchased Biab. The covers come out excellent when you put a little bit of time and energy into them.

I usually start with just Drums/Bass in Biab and then build my song from there. Get to know how the Bar/Chord settings work within Biab as well. It will be a time saver when you need a certain feel or groove in some spots.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Trax

Also, I will usually preview a song on YouTube and also search it for a Piano/Guitar demo as well. I will also do a "chord" search for a song if I don't know it.
Posted By: Kreska Re: Covers - 08/02/15 05:43 AM
Thanks. :-)
Posted By: Kreska Re: Covers - 08/02/15 05:50 AM
Thanks Muzic Trax - I agree, start with drums and bass and then fine tune from there. Bar/chord settings I'm now familiar with that after struggling (it wasn't obvious what to do when I didn't want three choruses) but yes, the key is to make it sound non-rigid, mix it up a bit, I think the listener can sniff out a computer backing a mile off! Real tracks help keep it real...

I use Nuendo for the final arrangement/editing /mixing and to add vocals and my guitar lines - I can mix it better and add effects I own.
© PG Music Forums