PG Music Home
Posted By: charlie-jazz Recording band in a box and Ivory (mac) - 08/03/15 05:24 PM
I use band in a box for backing tracks and play along with a virtual piano, using the stand alone piano player (Ivory in my case). What is the easiest way to record myself. I don't currently have any DAW program other than Garage band. I have had to resort to playing through speakers and recording the live audio. Any suggestions?
The notes you play on the standalone Ivory keyboard are actually midi information. You may be able to export the midi data as a midi song file (*.MID) then import the midi file into GarageBand. So you'll need to check the Ivory help file to find out how to export a midi file and the GarageBand help file to find out how to import a midi file.
Posted By: babarton Re: Recording band in a box and Ivory (mac) - 08/04/15 09:27 AM
charlie,

Garageband should do you just fine. I would suggest to drag and drop your BIAB project into Garageband, then to record MIDI piano data as you play along. Then you should be able to tell Garageband to use your Ivory standalone for the piano (to provide the sound for your piano part. This way, you wouldn't need to record your speakers with a microphone (which is what I'm assuming you're doing now), and you can play BIAB out loud while you're playing/recording.

Bruce
Bruce and Jim,

Thanks for the tips. I will try the garage band drag and drop. I frequently change the accompaniment going from drums and bass to just drums etc., but I guess it should not be to hard to just re-drag the file to Garage Band whenever I change the setup. BTW I have previously setup Garage Band to use the Ivory piano so I know that part will work.

Charlie
Posted By: babarton Re: Recording band in a box and Ivory (mac) - 08/07/15 02:55 PM
Originally Posted By: charlie-jazz
Bruce and Jim,

Thanks for the tips. I will try the garage band drag and drop. I frequently change the accompaniment going from drums and bass to just drums etc., but I guess it should not be to hard to just re-drag the file to Garage Band whenever I change the setup. BTW I have previously setup Garage Band to use the Ivory piano so I know that part will work.

Charlie

Of course, you can just mute and unmute the tracks in Garageband, as well. Good luck!

Bruce
© PG Music Forums