PG Music Home
Posted By: jjcousin Ping-Pong Delay/Reverb? - 12/10/15 12:47 PM
Hi All,

I'm interested in getting a left/right delay effect in the easiest way possible. What I mean is, can you tell me the quickest way to get this to happen to any one track (or bus I guess)? I may record a track, and would like to hear the effect in the mix, and then either kill it and try another take, or keep it. If it takes 5 steps to get it first, it would be too laborious do to.

I'm using PowerTracks Pro Audio and now I have BAIB (w/RB I suppose).

The effect I am looking can be heard in a song called:
Voyage by Patrick Bradley - it can be found on Spotify and includes Rick Braun's trumpet solo around the 2:00 mark.

You'll hear a nice bright trumpet sound, with delay and reverb and then the trail goes right then left before the sound dies. I'd love a nice way to do this really easily as I explained above.

The only way I could duplicate this with my knowledge and what ISN'T easy is, recording the mono track, copying it to 2 other tracks - panning the first new one hard L and the other new track hard R, and then applying the delay/reverb to both...then sliding those 2 new tracks a little after and then a lot after the original. THAT is NOT easy. The whole sliding thing is the mystery to me.)

Am I making any sense for a noob? ANY HELP would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

jjcousin
Posted By: Beagle Re: Ping-Pong Delay/Reverb? - 12/10/15 03:22 PM
I did a search in the FAQs for both BIAB and RB and I couldn't find any reference to this being a current function. someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

ping pong effect is exactly how you describe it and basically all it is - is changing the panning back and forth between channels.

this is a function which is very easy and native to Sonar, Music Creator (which is currently on $20, if the sale is still on), Cubase, etc.
Posted By: jjcousin Re: Ping-Pong Delay/Reverb? - 12/10/15 04:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Beagle

...Music Creator (which is currently on $20, if the sale is still on)...

Done. cool

Thanks Much!
Posted By: Beagle Re: Ping-Pong Delay/Reverb? - 12/10/15 06:34 PM
Originally Posted By: jjcousin
Originally Posted By: Beagle

...Music Creator (which is currently on $20, if the sale is still on)...

Done. cool

Thanks Much!

very glad to help! Music Creator is an awesome DAW for the price! MC7 they added a lot of features in that they had originally disabled because it's a subset of Sonar.

if you need any help with it, let me know, or post a question on the cakewalk forums. me or someone can help you there!
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Ping-Pong Delay/Reverb? - 12/10/15 10:57 PM
Oh, I wish I'd seen this earlier. I'd tell you how to do it in RB for $15.. (kidding!!!)

You can pan channels from the mixing screen and the panning can be automated. Select the portion of your track that you will be applying Fx, add the Fx and pan that section. Should take less than 30 secs, certainly less than a minute and absolutely less time than to purchase, download and install a DAW.

But for the record, Music Creator is an awesome DAW.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Ping-Pong Delay/Reverb? - 12/12/15 10:56 PM
Many different ways to do this, but the easiest is just to use an effect that has ping pong built in. My favorite delay that's a freebie is from interruptor.ch , called Bionic Delay. There's a newer one there that I have yet to try.

http://www.interruptor.ch/vst_donationware.shtml

This should work directly as a VST effect in PG Music products - put it on one of the aux busses at 100% wet, and then use the aux control on the individual channels that you want the delay to select the amount of that delay you want on the track.
Posted By: Nick Irving Re: Ping-Pong Delay/Reverb? - 01/01/16 04:00 AM
The old school way - set up 2 delays (a couple of PCM42's for example), one timed for quarter note, the other for half note delay time.
Pan them hard L and R and bring up the Feedback controls till you get the amount of repeats you want.

But yep, there'd be a plugin that could do that for you in a pinch!

smile
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Ping-Pong Delay/Reverb? - 01/01/16 12:23 PM
Most delay VST have a ping pong mode. No need to overcomplicate things.
Posted By: rharv Re: Ping-Pong Delay/Reverb? - 01/01/16 01:47 PM
One route .. not sure if it is the same effect you are looking for, but it's free and easy.

Attached picture ClassicPingPong.jpg
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Ping-Pong Delay/Reverb? - 01/02/16 12:46 PM
Btw as far as I know the only place to get the Kjaerhus stuff now is at the Acustica site, where they also sell Mixcraft DAW
© PG Music Forums