PG Music Home
Posted By: Sundance Should I switch DAW from 32 to 64bit? - 04/23/16 02:46 PM
At this point in time, the vast majority of my plugins have both 32/64bit options. There are a few I still like to use occasionally that are only 32bit, a couple I occasionally use that are only 64bit, but most have both options.

Prior to my computer crashing and then upgading to Windows 10, I'd been running the 32bit version of Reaper in my 64bit computer which has 10g ram.

After I reinstalled Reaper 32bit version I got to thinking maybe I should reconsider.

Now that I'm virtually starting over, I'm wonderng whether switching to the 64bit version of Reaper would be the better option to choose going forward - or not.

It would seem to make more sense with a 64 computer and a majority of 64bit capable plugins to use a 64bit DAW - but I could be wrong.....

Your thoughts???
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Should I switch DAW from 32 to 64bit? - 04/23/16 03:09 PM
Hi Josie,

I upgraded my computer in January and I changed over to Reaper 64 bit to give it a test run and see what it was like. I'm still running it.

The only thing you'll notice that's different is that if you use 32-bit plug-ins. With these 64-bit Reaper will automatically put them in its inbuilt bridge so they can work. Their functional ability is not diminished in any way.

The 'x86 bridged' above is indicating that the Ozone plug-in I'm using is 32 bit. Because of this bridging, I sometimes need to click on "Show UI" to make the user interface visible because it is a floating interface and not one locked in the FX window (like in the 32 bit program). I haven't found this an issue at all, though.

Reaper 64 opens all my song files that I've created with Reaper 32. I can still use all my previous 32-bit VSTs and DXis (synths: Dimension Pro, Miroslav, Cakewalk TTS-1; Finishing tools: Ozone, Nectar, ReaTune). I'm missing no functionality at all.

When I record audio, and I'm not sure if this is a consequence of a 32-bit plugin in a 64-bit environment or if it's that my audio card drivers don't work so well for Windows 7, I need to stop Ozone in the Master FX. After I've finished recording, I restart Ozone.

I have no hesitation in recommending the 64-bit version of Reaper to you.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: JEL Re: Should I switch DAW from 32 to 64bit? - 04/23/16 05:22 PM
@Sundance;

Hi Sundance smile

I have used a 32bit DAW on a 64bit windows since 2010.

Personally I would advice staying at 32bit if you use the DAW to make your own songs one by one.

Many plugins, as you say, have both 32 and 64 bit options, but for plugins that only has one option it's usually the 32 bit they have and not the 64. You'd rarely find a plugin that only comes in a 64bit version (you say you have some that are only 64bit though, but I think it's only a small number of plugins that are only released as 64bit. Which plugins is it you only have as 64bit versions?)

So in a 32bit DAW you're more likely to run the plugins natively rather than in bridge-mode. That might give you a slight edge in terms of compatibility/stability.

The only reason to go for 64bit is if your projects need more RAM than 32 bit can handle (I have never myself hit that wall yet)
Posted By: Sundance Re: Should I switch DAW from 32 to 64bit? - 04/23/16 06:24 PM
Noel, I took the plunge! Thank you so much!!!

JEL, Thank you too! I think it should work out fine for me. There's only a couple of plugins that I still use that are 32 only. It dawned on me that the ones I use most often are all optional 32/64. And then there's a couple of 64 only ones - I think they're both NI - not sure right now.

I've really pared down and am not reinstalling all the ones I had that I rarely if ever used and don't need.

I think in the future 32bit will be phased out by the plugin developers so it's probably not if but when anyway so here's hoping all goes well.

Posted By: MarioD Re: Should I switch DAW from 32 to 64bit? - 04/23/16 09:28 PM
Josie you made the right choice!
Posted By: JEL Re: Should I switch DAW from 32 to 64bit? - 04/24/16 11:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Sundance
JEL, Thank you too!

You're welcome, good luck smile
I built my DAW when the 64 bit OS was common. I opted to go with XP Pro 32bit. I bought a brand new version of XP from Amazon, since it was already out of production and not for sale in the stores any more.

The main reasons I can see going 64 bit is:

1. You need the larger RAM accessibility for large projects

2. You're willing to upgrade everything to 64 bit...plugs, DAW's, etc...

3. You're starting over or just now starting.

Note: I'm a die hard 32 bit fan... but if I was in the position of #3.... yup... it would be a 64 bit build.

I've never had an issue with #1, and don't feel like going through #2.

There's my 2 cents
Posted By: jford Re: Should I switch DAW from 32 to 64bit? - 04/25/16 05:02 PM
You can install both the 32-bit and the 64-bit version of Reaper (as well as most other DAWs - Sonar, MultiTrack Studio (MTS), MixCraft, Tracktion, etc).

Takes up a little more disk space, but is definitely an option, especially if you find some incompatibility. And generally the songs you create can be opened in either version. And since some content is shared between the two (such as any included libraries), you do save some disk space there.
© PG Music Forums