PG Music Home
Posted By: lambada Latency problem when recording User Tracks - 10/07/16 12:15 AM
Hi

I had my first attempt at doing a user track last night and I've posted this there as well, but the traffic is probably greater here and it's more of a routing/latency problem. My guitar is out of time with the user tracks when I play it back. (As far as I know I'm in time normally when I play! eek) I'm using the gear listed below. The guitar and vocals go through effects units into a mixer and into the PC via a USB3 interface. BIAB 2016 is going directly into the computer from the interface and I monitor it all on my headphones which are plugged into the USB3 interface. It must be a latency problem, but I can't figure out how to fix it. The USB audio interface has 3 settings. direct monitoring, mono, and stereo. Direct monitoring seems to be the closest, but I can't hear any guitar in direct monitoring when I record. I have noticed that sometimes my videos are also out of sync with the audio eg streetjelly and some video recording software as well. It must be a routing issue or I need to add some latency in BIAB, but I'm clueless as to where to start. Sorry if it's a bit vague. Anyone got any suggestions or ideas. Maybe if I put the BIAB through the mixer as well and turn of the internal looping?
What driver mode are you using and have you tweaked the settings for buffers and latency?

The interface website claims ZERO latency.... so the assumption would be that it should be possible to get Zero audible latency. The best driver to use is generally the ASIO driver if the unit supports that driver. I didn't see anywhere in the info I glanced at, where it specifically says it can use ASIO.....

I use ASIO with my interface and everything going through it runs in what I perceive to be "real time". Most of the time, latency of under 10ms is very hard to hear and when you get down to 6ms (where my system is running) it's impossible to hear it.

Check into the driver mode and your software's internal settings for audio and midi.

If you're running straight audio, that should not be a problem. Most latency issues I have seen come when you are using midi and softsynths.
Great. Thanks Herb. Also my apologies for double posting. As far as I remember, I can use ASIO with it. It is very fast. I read today that there were problems with upgrade 2.1 of the software, but it was fixed in 2.2. Again , I need to check which upgrade I'm on.

Whilst I love Zoom products they are very good at appearing to provide zero technical support. It is possible to get technical support, if you can figure out how to contact them....
© PG Music Forums