PG Music Home
We've all heard the term "Dithering" but how many of us really understand what it is, how it works, why do we need it, and when do we use it.

I found this video that helps to undo the mystery of Dithering.

It not only explains it, but it shows you what's happening and lets you hear it too. Understand that they boosted the levels considerably to allow it to be heard clearly. Normally, this all happens at a very low level but even at those low levels, it affects the music you can hear.

DITHERING EXPLAINED

Hope this explains the dithering process and you learn something new from this.
Posted By: Tobias Re: Dithering. What is it and how to use it. - 12/01/16 06:04 PM
I read something a long time ago that explained dithering first being found useful on analog navigation gauges on air planes. The early gauges were not very accurate when testing but once the plain got off the ground the constant vibration of the engine prevented the gauges from sticking. Kind of like tapping on an old watch to get it moving again. They then started vibrating the gauges in the test labs to make sure they were accurate. This saved hundreds of gauges that were previously thought to be defective.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Dithering. What is it and how to use it. - 12/01/16 06:19 PM
Very interesting, thanx for sharing.
Great video, thanks for sharing, Herb. This is something I've been meaning to look into for ages and just never got around to.
Posted By: rharv Re: Dithering. What is it and how to use it. - 12/01/16 10:04 PM
Nice video on it, Herb.

Another one I like to refer to (for learning about dithering) is here;
http://downloads.izotope.com/guides/izotope-dithering-with-ozone.pdf

Originally Posted By: Tobias
I read something a long time ago that explained dithering first being found useful on analog navigation gauges on air planes. The early gauges were not very accurate when testing but once the plain got off the ground the constant vibration of the engine prevented the gauges from sticking. Kind of like tapping on an old watch to get it moving again. They then started vibrating the gauges in the test labs to make sure they were accurate. This saved hundreds of gauges that were previously thought to be defective.

I have heard that story too
© PG Music Forums