PG Music Home
Posted By: Big john soft synth option - 04/18/17 09:56 AM
Just about had enough with the hardware side of synths.

So can anybody help me on the road to software synths.

Looking for good piano and guitar sounds etc.

will be looking forward to any replies and the big how much to get a decent sound.

Does anybody on here use the Roland xv 2020 and do the expansion cards work ok through general midi in biab,just another avenue I was looking at.
Posted By: Tony Wright Re: soft synth option - 04/18/17 10:17 AM
Originally Posted By: Big john
Just about had enough with the hardware side of synths.

So can anybody help me on the road to software synths.

Looking for good piano and guitar sounds etc.

will be looking forward to any replies and the big how much to get a decent sound.

Does anybody on here use the Roland xv 2020 and do the expansion cards work ok through general midi in biab,just another avenue I was looking at.

I cannot help with a soft synth recommendation because I abandoned them years ago on favor of hardware. Perhaps I am missing something so perhaps you could enlighten me.

Tony
Posted By: Big john Re: soft synth option - 04/18/17 01:06 PM
Tony

I posted a thread a while ago as I bought a Roland jv 1080, My intentions at the time was to load it with a few good expansion cards, love the sound of the jv1080,just wanted a good variety of sounds .

I bought one card to start and could not access it along with the general midi sounds tried patch files, ins files the lot.

Now I don't know what I was trying to do is achievable at all.

Visiting Roland's site I get the impression you can do this buy only on the xv series.

So I thought before I spend any more money maybe I should look at software synths that I could use along side the roland and forget about expansion cards etc.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: soft synth option - 04/18/17 02:05 PM
Regarding software based synths.

Getting a good piano is possible. The better sounding piano's will cost a bit.

However......

Sonar's Sound center has good pianos... approx $70 +/- for the DAW and the sound center with the piano add on pack. Not bad sounding pianos and that's the "all in" price plus you get a basic sonar DAW in the process. You can hear the cakewalk steinberg piano on my song Fool's Errand about 2/3 the way through the song where I'm playing very simple quarter notes and the piano is the only thing playing.

Kontakt: has some pretty nice pianos in it. A couple hundred dollars gets you in the game.

Ivory: dedicated to pianos and a bit pricey unless you are piano player specifically and looking for a really nice acoustic piano.

Stay away from TTS and Coyote and GM midi pianos. They sound ok, nothing great, but lower quality.

Guitar synths: In my humble opinion, there are no really good realistic sounding guitar synths. Yeah, they are nicely sampled and sound good....BUT.... they are stiff and have very little articulation played straight out of the box so to speak. Real Strat is one that I would recommend only if you are a keyboard player and can play the keys really well while manipulating the wheel and using other lower notes as controllers with your left hand at the same time you are playing the melody with the right. It's a skill set you need to learn to do it right. Without the articulations in the playing, any guitar player will nail it immediately as midi. I have heard a keyboard player using Real Strat over in the Cakewalk songs forum. He is quite good and the part was very hard to tell that it was a synth. In the end, with a very close listen (several times through), it was evident that the part was not a guitar but in fact a synth. It did sound pretty good.

I know that if you're looking for a nice piano sound (and guitar) you most likely want to play the parts yourself with a midi keyboard. I'd be using the real band piano and guitar tracks if I wasn't able to play the instruments myself. They are very realistic, sound good and have articulations in them. So unless it's a specific melody you need played, use the RT's.

If you do need a specific melody, then pick up one of the better piano synths and ..... well.... good luck with a guitar synth. I'd call on a buddy who plays to lay the occasional guitar melody line you specifically want.
Posted By: Big john Re: soft synth option - 04/18/17 04:57 PM
Herb

Thanks for the input you have gave me food for thought.

It makes me look at it all in a different light.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: soft synth option - 04/19/17 12:23 AM
Addictive Keys has several outstanding pianos.

Guitars, well, that's a different story. Most will leave you unimpressed from a synth standpoint. Put a shingle out here in the forums when you need guitar parts and you'll find willing participants to contribute actual real parts.

The above assumes you don't really need the parts as live MIDI.
Posted By: cubanpete Re: soft synth option - 04/24/17 09:32 PM
Agreed with Rockstar. Addictive Keys have a good (I'll say very good)pianos. They offer a grand piano demo version which you can use for as long as you want. I use it a lot. Check it out.

Mike B.
Posted By: sslechta Re: soft synth option - 04/25/17 09:35 AM
+1 here too. Got one free as a monthly Focusrite plugin giveaway. Love it. I have the Studio Grand.
© PG Music Forums