PG Music Home
Posted By: Lucm Listen to this: what caused this glitch? - 04/28/17 07:14 PM
I've had a discussion with two friends about this particular song/recording I found on YouTube, and we are in disagreement over what sounds like a very obvious glitch to me. My friends say they can't hear anything wrong or unusual, even after I point it out exactly.

Can you? Here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EapWEiNs0Q

I don't want to make it easier than it already is, so I'll just let you know that it is in the first minute. You may hit Stop after that. I don't think it's subtle, so don't strain when looking for it.

Can you please confirm that you hear it, the exact point and, most important: WHY did that happen?

TIA
Posted By: rharv Re: Listen to this: what caused this glitch? - 04/28/17 08:43 PM
OK, I'll bite
The only thing I hear in the first minute that may seem 'glitchy' is at 56 seconds or so, but it seems to keep flowing afterwards and is very slight, almost intentional .. or maybe it was intentional and I notice it for other reasons. Otherwise, with YT sound I am not picking it up right now.

Posted By: Lucm Re: Listen to this: what caused this glitch? - 04/28/17 11:48 PM
"I'll bite"? What's your suspicion?

Well, the thing I'm talking about does not occur at 56 seconds, but thank you for trying.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Listen to this: what caused this glitch? - 04/29/17 02:12 AM
Nothing stood out to me as being wrong.
Posted By: Lucm Re: Listen to this: what caused this glitch? - 04/29/17 02:20 AM
OK, I'll make it easier. The alleged glitch is in the vocal, between 25 and 30 secs.

Later into the song (past the first minute), the singer repeats part of the lyrics, this time with no "glitch," so you can compare.
Posted By: rharv Re: Listen to this: what caused this glitch? - 04/29/17 09:34 AM
Still not hearing it in this version ..
nice mix on it
Posted By: Lucm Re: Listen to this: what caused this glitch? - 04/29/17 09:45 AM
Maybe you can't tell because it's in a foreign language. I should probably look for a national/local forum.

Thank you again.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Listen to this: what caused this glitch? - 04/29/17 09:53 AM
It still sounds fine to me.

Because I don't speak the language, all I can hear are vocal sounds. To me, these sounds all sound consistent with the performer's voice. Nothing stands out as wrong.
Posted By: rharv Re: Listen to this: what caused this glitch? - 04/29/17 03:09 PM
Yes, language familiarity may be a factor. Very possible.
Posted By: Lucm Re: Listen to this: what caused this glitch? - 04/29/17 09:54 PM
The singer says "compartilhando as emoções" at 0:27/0:28 and his voice sounds strangled at "emoções," like in a chewed up cassete tape. He repeats that phrase later on, without the problem.
I can't hear an audio glitch at 0:27
Posted By: Matcham Re: Listen to this: what caused this glitch? - 04/30/17 08:13 AM
Nup can't hear it neither. Not surprised given I don't speak the language. Expectation is everything.
The language might be an issue for non-native listeners.

I listened closely at that point you finally indicated.... I didn't hear anything that sounded like a chewed up cassette tape...as you mentioned.

I have heard things in songs where a singer repeats the same exact lyrical phrase in several places and it sounds different in one of them. This is a natural occurrence in recorded music especially if the singer actually sings it in each place vs a copy and paste of the verse.

I have also seen the backing instruments create what sounds like a glitch for the same reason. Soloing the various tracks shows nothing is wrong, but when they are combined, there sounds like a glitch in that location.

Anyway... just my 2 cents worth.

For what it's worth, I didn't hear anything in there that would have caused me to double check it.
Posted By: rharv Re: Listen to this: what caused this glitch? - 04/30/17 11:42 AM
Yeah, me either, and I was using my 'glitch' headphones that I can usually pick up any 'glitch' with (meaning pop,click, etc)
Posted By: Lucm Re: Listen to this: what caused this glitch? - 05/01/17 07:03 AM
OK, I will give up on this topic then. I'm sorry if this was a waste of anybody's time.

Originally Posted By: rharv
Yeah, me either, and I was using my 'glitch' headphones that I can usually pick up any 'glitch' with (meaning pop,click, etc)

What are 'glitch' headphones? Are they super sensitive? Do you not use them all the time?
Posted By: jford Re: Listen to this: what caused this glitch? - 05/01/17 09:50 AM
I can't hear a glitch; however, have you tried capturing the audio and then slowing it down to see if something is there? It all goes by pretty quickly, so that may be a way to see if there is something there.
Posted By: rharv Re: Listen to this: what caused this glitch? - 05/01/17 07:55 PM
Using my M40f/s headphones I can notice glitches/pops/clicks others don't seem to hear. I also notice I hear these things more with these headphones than other sound sources (different headphones, powered monitors etc) so it's not 'me' so much, rather what these headphones reveal to me.
So I like to use these when editing/mixing. Much better to catch an editing mistake early as opposed to later when mastering, and then having to go back..

Usually, looking closely (zooming in at the highest Resolution possible) at the exact spot in the track reveals what I am hearing (a true glitch in the audio, visually evident).
If you see such a thing, maybe you can paste the line again from somewhere else or even surgically remove the offending bits.

/I've been told by a company rep that Audio Technica is going to re-issue the M40f/s headphones again. According to him they haven't been able to replicate their sound as quickly as anticipated (like 2 years behind schedule currently, but still working on it).

Reviews like these show that people that have them really like them
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ATHM40/reviews

Using my M40f/s headphones I can notice glitches/pops/clicks others don't seem to hear. I also notice I hear these things more with these headphones than other sound sources (different headphones, powered monitors etc) so it's not 'me' so much, rather what these headphones reveal to me.
So I like to use these when editing/mixing. Much better to catch an editing mistake early as opposed to later when mastering, and then having to go back..

Usually, looking closely (zooming in at the highest Resolution possible) at the exact spot in the track reveals what I am hearing (a true glitch in the audio, visually evident).
If you see such a thing, maybe you can paste the line again from somewhere else or even surgically remove the offending bits.

Yes.... good headphones are a valuable asset for checking and hearing details in the mix that tend to get blurred by speakers and room ambience.

Excellent point on looking at the wave close up. Generally, if you can hear it, you can see it. and vice versa. This is an excellent forensic tool to use when looking for an offending glitch to see what track it's in. I've found that even a glitch that's one or two sample bits can be heard. And.... if you go in to the bit level, and mute those few bits, the glitch will disappear totally and you won't hear the mute happen.
Posted By: rharv Re: Listen to this: what caused this glitch? - 05/02/17 08:04 PM
If I'm zoomed in to near sample level, I figure I'm pretty safe just cutting it (and enabling 'smooth audio cut', which helps it hit the zero crossing point on both ends of the edit).
If not, just CTRL + Z to Undo.
If I cut it, I don't have to worry about it un-muting some day when someone else may be mixing it.
If I'm zoomed in to near sample level, I figure I'm pretty safe just cutting it (and enabling 'smooth audio cut', which helps it hit the zero crossing point on both ends of the edit).
If not, just CTRL + Z to Undo.
If I cut it, I don't have to worry about it un-muting some day when someone else may be mixing it.

Sonar does automatic zero crossing cuts BUT..... you can still get a noticeable pop or click if you do a random edit point.... so the best option is to use auto snap set to a resolution of some workable value. That way, your edit cut point defaults to the closest measure, half, quarter, eight, or sixteenth and there is peace and quiet in the edit.

I tend to use the measure quite often and it works well in 90% of the cases.
© PG Music Forums