PG Music Home
Posted By: lingyai Any using Mixcraft 8? - 07/15/17 02:46 PM
Hi all,

I know I can try the demo myself; still, I am interested in users' opinions.

--How stable and predictable is it? I ask as my current DAW, Sonar Platinum -- while it has a great theoretical feature list -- fails miserably on this score; it is in fact why I am considering jumping ship to another DAW.

-- Does it work well with Kontakt?

-- Does it work well with Waves plugins?

-- Are the FX parameter envelope automation and signal routing (use of send busses etc) functionality up to scratch?

-- I have Melodyne Editor 3, which is more powerful than the bundled Melodyne Essential. Do you know if that integrates with Mixcraft 8?

-- Is there anything important (e.g. any "caveats, "gotchas" etc ) I should be aware of?

By the way, I'm aware of but frankly uninterested in the bundled FX and instruments; I have all the 3rd party VSTs for that I'll ever need.

In case it matters, I'm using a Windows 7 Professional 64 bit PC with an i7 2.7 ghz CPU, 16 GB of RAM and a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 USB interface.

Grateful for any candid advice!

(Please no off-topic stuff e.g. "What's wrong with Sonar? Works fine for me; must be you"; "It has been scientifcally proven that there is no reason to use anything other than Reaper" etc.)

Grateful for any candid advice!
Posted By: Larry Kehl Re: Any using Mixcraft 8? - 07/15/17 11:40 PM
First, full disclosure Mixcraft 8 Pro is NOT my “main squeeze” but I do use it. Also YMMV (and I use both Win 7 64 and win 10 64 with 32 GB RAM and an old i7-2600K)

My first answer is: GET the DEMO, try it and read the manual - don’t rely on others who have no idea what or how you work.

The rest:

1. YES Kontakt works (and IK, and WAVES, and UVI, and AIR, and a bunch of others and one offs)

2. Yes WAVES works (as does all FX plugs I have - so far)

3. What do you consider “up to scratch?” They work but again on this one I REALLY suggest you download the DEMO and decide for yourself if it works how you WANT it work. Read starting on page 193 of manual and then TRY IT.

4. Melodyne works I have Studio 4 so suspect V3 Editor would as well.

BTW your questions are really loaded questions: “works well” is completely situation and use/abuse dependent doesn’t matter if you are talking about Sonar, Cubase, FL12, Pro Tools, Studio One, Reaper, or…. Mixcraft 8 Pro.

AGAIN get DEMO and TRY IT and decide for yourself

Good Luck

Larry
Posted By: critter Re: Any using Mixcraft 8? - 07/16/17 01:49 AM
Started using with version 6, all the way to 8 and it has worked fine for me for years. I use it as my main daw, also I use the Izotope for all mixing and mastering. Works fantastic for me. I use band in a box and Real tracks for my rough drafts and then transfer to Mixcraft.
Posted By: jford Re: Any using Mixcraft 8? - 07/17/17 02:08 PM
I've got it, but unfortunately don't use it much. The times I've loaded it up and worked with music, it's done just fine. It supports VST/VSTi like the others. Does it crash? Well, it hasn't for me during the times I've used it.

If I recall correctly, it does take quite a while to do the initial VST/VSTi scan, so if you have a lot of plugins, be ready for that.

I got it during a time when I was trying/buying a number of different DAW's, and of course once obtained I "had to" keep it up-to-date. I started with I believe it was version 5 and have upgraded through version 8.

I agree with Larry. Give it a try first. You can always uninstall it if you don't like it. And your workflow may be different than ours, so make sure it works for you.
© PG Music Forums