PG Music Home
Posted By: David Snyder Good Article on Voice Compression - 07/20/17 03:51 PM

2015 but still good. Simple.

https://music.tutsplus.com/tutorials/a-master-guide-to-voice-compression-how-to--compress-voice-recordings--cms-25105
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Good Article on Voice Compression - 07/20/17 05:41 PM
Very useful, thanks.

Regards,

Bob
A great article indeed, David smile Extremely interesting read, I know some friends who'd love to read as well!
Posted By: Marty Sorensen Re: Good Article on Voice Compression - 07/22/17 12:19 AM
Thank you, David.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Good Article on Voice Compression - 07/22/17 10:37 PM
Good article, David. Thanks for posting the link!

Under 'Quick Tips' near the end of the document, it mentions the below...

"Avoid de-esser's. This is a form of compression that reduces that harshness of sibilant S sounds in the voice. These are great for sung vocals, but sound unnatural on spoken word recordings."

This makes me wonder if maybe the article is orientated more towards the spoken word rather than the sung word.

Nevertheless, there's lots of good information within smile
Posted By: lambada Re: Good Article on Voice Compression - 07/23/17 12:47 PM
Thanks. Nice and simple for the likes of me.
Posted By: Mike. R. Re: Good Article on Voice Compression - 07/23/17 01:00 PM
Very useful. Good find David.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Good Article on Voice Compression - 07/23/17 04:16 PM
Lately I've been lazy with compression on vocals. My DAW has a 'channel strip' plugin that has high pass filtering, compression and EQ and a noise gate and there are 'male vocal condenser' and 'male vocal dynamic' presets and I tweak the high pass filter settings on those and that's about it. For what I do which is basically recording to document songwriting, it suits my needs well. I will see about comparing the tips here vs what those presets have enabled.
© PG Music Forums