PG Music Home
Posted By: beatmaster Sampletank 3 - 09/01/17 08:40 AM
Hi

Anybody using this looking for a bit of advice.

Is it good for the price 235 euro.

Does it beat hardware modules like ketron sd range.

Is it multi or do you have to load each instrument for each channel.

Just looking on comments before I jump in and purchase this,

I do have a Ketron sd 1000 and I am looking for more sounds to add along with this.

Thoughts and suggestions more than welcome.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Sampletank 3 - 09/01/17 10:43 PM
Difficult question to answer without knowing more information. How do you presently use your Ketron SD-1000? Do you always use a computer when playing music or do you sometimes connect the Ketron to a keyboard? Do you play midi files you found and downloaded (for free) off the internet, that you make yourself or purchased? What genre of music interests you? There is no "best" because everyone uses things differently.

Generally speaking, Sampletank 3 is not general midi compatible. It does not read a midi song file and preload instrument patches prior to playing the song file. You will need to select which instrument patches you want to play. There is a work around that can simulate a general midi instrument set but it is still a work around and may not work as you imagine it should.
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Sampletank 3 - 09/02/17 04:51 AM
Ketron is used through pc I don't play keyboard.

Yes Midi files and biab tracks I make up.

Genre of music 60s, 70s,,easy listening nice keyboard sound, bass, drums, guitar.

I did have an idea it was not gm compatible, but I thought anyone on the forum who uses sample tank, might have made a comparison on the quality/variety of sounds/instruments etc, who could have gave me a wee bit of a review for want of a better word before I decide to purchase or not, as you know once bought and not so good, well no giving back as you can do with pg music.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Sampletank 3 - 09/02/17 09:16 AM
OK, you asked.

I am not in love with sampletank 3. If you are trying to enhance the sound quality and sound options from BIAB, I would not recommended it. Why?

First reason has already been mentioned, ST3 is not midi compatible. That is a big downside for a program like BIAB.

Second, while ST3 will give you more sound options (so many it can make you head spin - dozens and dozens of piano). Honestly no one needs that many sounds. Unless you do a lot of midi work and want a huge supply of options. Which is the only reason I would recommend ST3.

Third sound quality. Not impressed with sound quality of ST3. All those dozens of pianos and not one is my go to. For a really good piano sound I don't use ST3. It is not even in the top 3.

ST3 is not bad if you do a lot of midi arranging. But not in BIAB which can't multichannel so each individual instrument needs an individual track. In a DAW you can run one instance of ST3 with a dozen or more tracks.

Regarding price, there have been recent specials where ST3 is given free with the purchase of a small midi keyboard (~99 USD) or something like that. So the price has really dropped over the years.

Bottom line, I have it and I have found uses for it -that's a good thing. But, I paid why too much money for it -back in the day. Sound is not impressive, but if you have no other option for some specific instrument than it may find a place.

so if you can get it cheap and use it in a DAW - I would give it a big "maybe".
Posted By: Hugh2 Re: Sampletank 3 - 09/02/17 10:01 AM
Hi Beat Master,
I got it last year and I think Music Student covered it well.
I am not great at comparing the quality of the sound.I use it in Reaper with realtracks and I like it when their is a mixture of tracks.I havent made a complete song out of Sampletank though and im not sure its up to making a complete song on its own.For the price of 235 I think its good value ,urs Hugh
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Sampletank 3 - 09/02/17 06:20 PM
Jim, Musicstudent and hugh2.

Thanks to be honest I was thinking it would be a bit surplus to requirement, however I am doing a lot of work on midi.

I have the Everything pack of biab, But I am revisiting my youth from the midi days.

And I do prefer midi with good sounds like the Roland sonic cell and the ketron, just thought the likes of sample tank being newer to the modules would be an ace in the hole.

Think I will leave it for now.
Posted By: Larry Kehl Re: Sampletank 3 - 09/04/17 08:28 PM
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
OK, you asked.

First reason has already been mentioned, ST3 is not midi compatible. That is a big downside for a program like BIAB.

I really think what Dan meant to say:

ST3 is not GENERAL MIDI (aka GM) compatible (becasue it IS MIDI compatible, all day long)

as far as how good it "sounds" that's purely subjective as well as based on what and how you plan to use it and what sounds you want it for.

But never pay full MSRP for ST3, or Kontakt, or Rapture Pro, or UVI libraries, or E-W, Omnisphere 2, or AD2, or AK, or Ezdrummer, or EZKeys, or ANY sampler/sample playback tool or their propriety libs - they ALL go on sale, at some point in the year and with silly season approaching - PAY ATTENTION and SAVE money.

And if not on sale some on-line retailers will put make it a "Group Buy" sale (more sold the cheaper), a holiday sale, a promotional sale, or give additional "in basket" discounts (like JRR Shop online does a lot)

Good Luck
Larry
© PG Music Forums