PG Music Home
Posted By: DrDan Vocal Booth - 10/14/17 06:39 PM
Every time I think I should invest in a vocal booth, the prices blow me away. So I tried this. And in case you guys think I am putting you on, no, I am serious, so no laughing. grin

What do you guys do?

Attached picture vocal booth.jpg
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Vocal Booth - 10/14/17 07:10 PM
Ha ha ha. Funny! Whatever works man!! Do you cover your head with the blanket too like an old school photographer from the Civil War era??

smile

Attached picture Vocal Booth.jpg
Posted By: DrDan Re: Vocal Booth - 10/14/17 08:02 PM
I said no laughing.... wink

Ya, I saw something like yours at Guitar Center today. $99 for the cheapest and up to to 200-300 for bigger units. I wanted to haggle with the sales guy, but he ignored me.

How do you like it?

I admit, mine is a mess, but I do think it helps.

My recording studio room has no acoustic treatment. It is actually more like a spare bedroom than a studio, heck, it is a spare bedroom but my wife lets me use it to pretend.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Vocal Booth - 10/14/17 08:22 PM
Dan,

Keep an eye on this one from Musician's Friend:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/cad-vocalshield-vs1-foldable-stand-mounted-acoustic-shield/j07867000000000

This goes on sale occasionally for $49 USD. That is what I paid for it also.

My room has no acoustic treatment either and this made a huge difference in my recording quality.
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: Vocal Booth - 10/14/17 09:16 PM
Make one in a few minutes with about $20 worth of supplies!

http://www.podcomplex.com/blog/vocal-booth-solutions-for-home-studios/
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Vocal Booth - 10/14/17 09:16 PM
I use this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Reflexion?mrkgcl=28&mrkgadid=994492056&rkg_id=h-f0cabefcf3909175d414eb7ec804ab6f_t-1508026551&campaigntype=paidsearch&campaign=Studio%2520%26%2520Recording-Acoustic%2520Treatment&adgroup=sE%2520Electronics-Acoustic%2520Treatment%3A%2520Absorption&keyword=se%2520reflexion%2520filter&placement=google&adpos=1t2&creative=175691766216&device=m&matchtype=e&network=g&gclid=CjwKCAjw64bPBRApEiwAJhG-fhfmlOD9d1WunF0FxzQNbtEqLJOgrRLFh4ifWaDM7ehcOiO8NTt2ORoCO34QAvD_BwE
Posted By: DrDan Re: Vocal Booth - 10/14/17 09:22 PM
Thanks Mario, I have just placed an "alert" over in MF. They will call me when it goes on sale. How cool is that.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Vocal Booth - 10/14/17 09:24 PM
That looks nice but the price has always make we turn away.

Do you blow you horn into that?
Posted By: lambada Re: Vocal Booth - 10/14/17 10:34 PM
I ordered that Mario as they offered free world wide shipping. 3 months later they agreed that it had failed to arrive and returned my payment. Didn't solve my problem and it was a big fail on the customer service side. No attempt to send me one. Not even a proper apology. Now I see that they don't ship to Hong Kong anymore. Just saw that I can get one in China - probably made there! grin
Posted By: DrDan Re: Vocal Booth - 10/14/17 10:45 PM
I believe the one that Matt pointed out above is the same unit I was viewing at guitar center today. At $99 that may be the right price? And I do like doing business with Sweetwater
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Vocal Booth - 10/14/17 10:53 PM
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
I believe the one that Matt pointed out above is the same unit I was viewing at guitar center today. At $99 that may be the right price? And I do like doing business with Sweetwater

If you can get that for $99, do it. It was about $250 when I first bought it.

EDIT: Nope, different product that did not exist when I bought mine. Mine is now $200. Unfortunately, the Guitar Center website gives no specs at all, so I don't know how they are different. I suspect the more expensive one is larger.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Vocal Booth - 10/15/17 12:00 AM

I think mine was about 150 from guitar center. It is pretty heavy and solid. I have foam blocks stacked on top and clipped in the back so I get a pretty pure sound hitting the mic, which is tucked inside. (See picture in my first post.) It takes hours and hours and hours to correct thin vocals and it's impossible anyway, so I said what the heck and spent the spent the cash.

It sounds like the difference between night and day when you play things back. Very rich. It makes a huge difference.

Looks like $99 at Sweetwater.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ReflexionX?mrkgcl=28&mrkgadid=3232942755&rkg_id=h-8b470075c4be4a051f24ca0c6297efa9_t-1508036287&product_id=ReflexionX&campaigntype=shopping&campaign=aaShopping%2520-%2520Core%2520-%2520Studio%2520%26%2520Recording&adgroup=Studio%2520%26%2520Recording%2520-%2520Studio%2520Furniture%2520%26%2520Acoustic%2520Treatment&placement=google&adpos=1o1&creative=213185928368&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl9zM8tDx1gIViR6GCh0bjAZeEAQYASABEgKD0vD_BwE
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Vocal Booth - 10/15/17 12:28 AM
The one David linked to is the lesser priced one, the model X. The one that's $200 is the model Pro.
Posted By: musiclover Re: Vocal Booth - 10/15/17 02:39 PM
Was holding off from buying one too due to price, had my eye on this one,

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Microphone-Isolation-Lightweight-Soundproofing/dp/B01IEZ95GM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508088821&sr=8-1&keywords=neewer+vocal+booth

Well Amazon offered it to me for just over £31, $40 or so, in a lightening deal, usually only lasts a few hours. The company Neewer do make different models of this and different sizes too, this one is the NW6 model, good size too.

Very pleased with it so far, fits well on mic stand, well made everything seems top quality.
Since I have it only a few weeks haven't tried it out yet as regards recording, but have no reason to believe that it won't work. I think these things will dampen the sound reflections a bit but no way will get rid of the lot, so singing inside a duvet may well be the best option for that...lol.

They guy in one of the reviews said its too heavy for most stands but fits fine on my one, and its only a cheapie.But hey it sure looks pro always wanted one.

I think it may have been Mario in a previous thread who pointed me in the direction of this one or something similar, so thanks Mario.

Musiclover
Posted By: Al-David Re: Vocal Booth - 10/16/17 03:48 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Dan,

Keep an eye on this one from Musician's Friend:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/cad-vocalshield-vs1-foldable-stand-mounted-acoustic-shield/j07867000000000

This goes on sale occasionally for $49 USD. That is what I paid for it also.

My room has no acoustic treatment either and this made a huge difference in my recording quality.

Mario,

The link says it's currently $139.00 - they really drop this to the $50.00 range? Holy smokes ... that's more than a deal! I'll have to keep my eyes open.

There isn't much that will make my voice sound good (other than a silencer - no, not one you put on a Smith & Wesson!). But it might make Di sound even better, when she's healthy enough to sing. Thanks for the link.

Alan
Posted By: DrDan Re: Vocal Booth - 10/21/17 05:23 PM
And the winner is

Winner

Pretty happy with quality and setup. My Rode NT1-A fits in real nice. Cheapest price was Musicians Friend, but local Guitar Center matched price.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Vocal Booth - 10/21/17 05:33 PM
Nice.

You will be happy.

smile
Posted By: 2bSolo Re: Vocal Booth - 12/28/17 07:54 PM
Not to say it would suit everybody but I use a furniture blanket hung in a double closet opening. I have clothes in there (behind the blanket) and they deaden it a bit. I cover the doors and the floor.

I like the portable vocal booth idea, too.
Posted By: jazzi Re: Vocal Booth - 01/01/18 06:09 PM
I have a friend with a full recording studio in his smallish house where I record sometimes. He uses a closet, but boy, does it get hot and stuffy (and I'm also a claustrophobe). Thanks for all the ideas!
Posted By: jcspro40 Re: Vocal Booth - 01/02/18 04:11 PM
I made a 4'x4'x6.5' PVC frame & covered it with 6 72x80 moving blankets....works great after the blankets were washed. The fluffed up some more.

I am also using a piece of drain pipe & a large computer "muffin fan" to get some air in there. A few cables under the blanket and I am good to go!

Sorry, no pictures ATM due to it being collapsed, but I will take some the next time I set it up. In the mean time you can see where I got my ventilation idea from on this site...

https://www.vocalboothtogo.com/product/quiet-ventilation-fan-muffler/

Also, this guy has built one that is extremely close to how I did it, I used large clips instead of shower hooks.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWEGdBJ1AAE

Hope this helps! cool
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Vocal Booth - 01/09/18 12:15 PM
I find Safe'n'Sound works phenomenally for insulation - it deadens a room really well to cut out any ambient noise. Unfortunately when it comes to microphones, you pay for what you get. Also depends on what you happen to be recording smile
© PG Music Forums