PG Music Home
Posted By: Matt Finley A short BIAB success story - 10/16/17 09:38 PM
I just produced a session with a pianist, acoustic bassist and drummer, along with my flugelhorn solo and my wife’s vocal that were added later. I used my BIAB acoustic guitar RealTrack as the click track for the piano trio to play to, and it worked so well I left the guitar in the final mix.

This was one of my compositions (Pat and Mario heard it) to which my wife just wrote lyrics. Two professional guitarists I work with have now heard the final mixed track. Each one said, “Wow - great song! Who’s playing guitar”?

- proof once again that layering in BIAB tracks with real ones can work so well that it even fools pros who play that instrument.

ps This is much the same technique I used when I recorded my CD, using Brazil’s best jazz guitarist Romero Lubambo as the sort-of click track. It’s amazing that in the ten years since then, BIAB has improved to the point I could use BIAB instead! Thank you, PG Music.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: A short BIAB success story - 10/16/17 10:02 PM
Great story Matt. Thanks for sharing.

Charlie
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: A short BIAB success story - 10/17/17 02:12 AM
Matt,
Thanks for sharing that!
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: A short BIAB success story - 10/17/17 05:57 AM
Well done Matt!
Posted By: jford Re: A short BIAB success story - 10/17/17 11:47 AM
Awesome!
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: A short BIAB success story - 10/17/17 12:05 PM
An awesome story, Matt! Always nice to hear smile

Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: A short BIAB success story - 10/17/17 01:03 PM
Why not post it on the user showcase forum?

Would love to hear it.

J&B
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: A short BIAB success story - 10/17/17 04:23 PM
Thanks. I plan to put it on CD Baby. I’m playing and writing on eleven recent CDs but am woefully underrepresented on CD Baby.
Posted By: MarioD Re: A short BIAB success story - 10/17/17 07:51 PM
Matt, let us know when it is available.
Posted By: bloc-head Re: A short BIAB success story - 01/20/19 05:30 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Matt, let us know when it is available.

Yes Please. I would love to hear it too...

edit: just realized this is an older post... I'll look for your music on CD Baby...
Posted By: rayc Re: A short BIAB success story - 02/14/20 08:14 AM
Excellent story.
I, generally, use RealDrums on my songs and then layer my playing & that of other collaborators in a song. I often add Real Tracks to augment - not many but often.
I used to use a "real" drummer to record multitrack drums for me but that was a problem as he'd have to be available as well as interested in the track & those two aren't always a given. The gentleman is also a superb rock guitarist.
A couple of years ago wrote a song and prepared a draft/sketch of it using RealDrums, my bass playing & my guitar playing. I played it for the drummer and he liked the song. He's a stickler for quality, said that he liked the song and offered to play guitar on it. I reminded him that it was a BIAB RealDrum track, (with some EQing to address excessive cymbal noise and too much kick click with not enough thud), and he responded that it was fine and reiterated his offer to play guitar.
That's a superb drummer - who also does excellent multitrack recordings of him playing his kit - happily playing on a RealDrum based song.
On a recent track he did the same - he had some suggestions about EQing the RealDrums to suit the song but was, again, happy to literally "play along".
I'd LOVE RealDrums to be split into stems for a more tweakable sound but I also understand that many, many BIAB users are happy with what's happening in the BIAB mixer. IF RealDrums were more tweakable in the Audiophile version I'd definitely buy that.
Posted By: edshaw Re: A short BIAB success story - 02/14/20 05:16 PM
Sure thing, Matt. We'll be looking for it.
Your point is well taken, that Real Tracks and BaiB have evolved to the point of inclusion in work such as yours. As an untrained non-professional, I'm astonished at how those guitar and piano tracks are able to enhance songs they didn't even know they were playing at the time they were recorded. It is like magic.
© PG Music Forums