PG Music Home
Posted By: Eddie Recording newbe - 11/20/17 10:04 PM
I jam with a group that whats to record some of our songs. I have been given a Korg D-1600 mkII Digital Recording Studio to use. I would like to take a track containing drums and bass from BIAB and export it into the 1600. I'm wondering if this can be done. Looks like reading the 1600 manual I can use a USB cable to do the transfer, but I'm not sure how to accomplish this after the hookup. Anyone ever do this? Thanks, Eddie
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Recording newbe - 11/20/17 10:40 PM
Hello Eddie and welcome to the group.

Page 106 of the owner's manual provides details about importing and exporting audio files between the Korg D1600 and your pc computer. You have the option of importing files through the USB port or by letting the Korg read the audio files off a CD.

Band-in-a-Box and RealBand work with audio files that have 16 bit depth at a sample rate of 44,100 Hz.

To transfer files using the USB port the D1600 creates a 2 GB secondary drive on the 40 GB main drive. The 2 GB space is to create a barrier between the D1600 and the outside world.

+++ HERE +++ is a link to the D1600 manual I looked at.
Posted By: Eddie Re: Recording newbe - 11/20/17 11:15 PM
Jim, Thank you for the quick come back!!! I'll give that a try tomorrow.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Recording newbe - 11/21/17 04:26 PM
Here's my 2 cents on this topic.

I used to have a Korg D-1600. I didn't like it and sold it a few weeks after I bought it.

Personally, I'd go the other direction. Record the audio in the D-1600m because it actually does that fairly well. Export the wave files to your computer and drop them into REAL BAND. Import the drums and whatever else you need from BB and mix them in the computer using RB.

Transferring files is simple. You select the export file function and select a destination. Drop and drag often works well. Once the cable is connected, you should be able to see the computer from the D-1600 and vice versa. Follow the menu on the D-1600 to export or import the files.
Posted By: Eddie Re: Recording newbe - 11/22/17 02:39 AM
OK guys, I sent a track to the desktop from BIAB (WAV). Played it and it's fine. Exported it to 1600. Went well-watched the transfer, shows name, tempo, 4/4. When I press the 1600 play button the timer runs, but there is no sound and no level bars jumping like on other songs. What did I do wrong this time?

The goal is to use the 1600 to record a few lead tracks. I'd like some drum, bass, and rhythm tracks to get us started.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Recording newbe - 11/24/17 12:07 PM
I don't know enough about the 1600 to help.

It's probably a setting that needs to be fixed.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Recording newbe - 11/27/17 05:00 PM
I don't have an answer for you. Best bet is to look through the manual and make sure you haven't missed a step.

Remember that when you import a wave file into the 1600 the wave file is stored in the 2 GB file transfer storage zone. The file still has to be imported from the 2 GB storage zone into a project track. You also have to match a mono file with a mono track and a stereo file with a stereo track.
Posted By: raddy Re: Recording newbe - 01/23/18 04:47 AM
I have a similar - but I think simpler question. I have a BIAB back line that I have to lay a sax line over. From what I can gather I can simply play the back line I have and play the sax "over the top" in BIAB record mode. Is that correct?

Just to add, if I plug the mic into the PC will BIAB pick that up rather nthan the PCs input regular mic?
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Recording newbe - 01/23/18 10:10 AM
<< The file still has to be imported from the 2 GB storage zone into a project track. You also have to match a mono file with a mono track and a stereo file with a stereo track. >>

With most machines you must first create a new song and then import your tracks from the storage zone into open tracks of the new song. You can import a stereo file into two mono channels or into a single stereo channel.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Recording newbe - 01/23/18 10:12 AM
Yes. BIAB has an audio record track.
Regarding the Mic input, you have to tell BIAB in preferences what source to use. A pop up window should appear if you try to record and the settings are incorrect.
© PG Music Forums