PG Music Home
Posted By: casak biab to reaper - 01/06/18 08:40 PM
Hello,
BIAB 2018

which is the best way to pass the BIAB tracks to reaper?

I do so:

in BIAB I create the tracks using Realtracks.
I save the song to biab format.
in Realband I read the song created with BIAB.
in Realband for each track I right click on each track and from the menu I choose track-> save track to file (WAV)
I open Reaper and I import the WAV tracks

Any better ideas?
Posted By: Noel96 Re: biab to reaper - 01/06/18 09:13 PM
Originally Posted By: casak
Hello,
BIAB 2018

which is the best way to pass the BIAB tracks to reaper?

I do so:

in BIAB I create the tracks using Realtracks.
I save the song to biab format.
in Realband I read the song created with BIAB.
in Realband for each track I right click on each track and from the menu I choose track-> save track to file (WAV)
I open Reaper and I import the WAV tracks

Any better ideas?

I've been doing it exactly this way for years. It seems to me to be the most efficient way to do things. I always modify the names that the files are saved with... e.g. '970 Guitar Electric.wav'.

Often in Realband, I use Multiriff to generate multiple tracks of soloist riffs so that I can compile the best over all solo in Reaper.

In Reaper, I also use a template that I created that has reverbs, panning, Ozone settings, etc., preset and ready to go. This saves quite a bit of time in the long run.

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: sslechta Re: biab to reaper - 01/06/18 11:33 PM
If you're not really adding anything new in RealBand, just export all the tracks directly in BIAB and save a step.
Posted By: rharv Re: biab to reaper - 01/07/18 11:41 AM
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=446843#Post446843

Quick and easy
Posted By: DrDan Re: biab to reaper - 01/07/18 03:36 PM
Simplest way is to drag tracks (individual or Master) out of BIAB and drop them as indiviual tracks into Reaper. No need for RealBand, no need to export and import.

Just be sure when you save your Reaper file you check the box which says "move all tracks to Project Directory".
Posted By: funkycornwall Re: biab to reaper - 01/08/18 09:06 AM
I sometimes have tempo changes within my BIAB tunes so taking the tracks to REAPER needs to take this into account. There is a useful song info in BIAB which details all the tempo changes. So I make up my REAPER song first putting in the appropriate tempo changes at correct places. Also remember the bars need to take into account the BIAB 2-bar count-in. So say your song is at BPM 120 and you change to 125 at bar 10 this change would need to be Bar 12 in REAPER. It is essential that the bar tempos line up otherwise adding other material in REAPER can become tricky.

I then tell BIAB to save the wave files in the REAPER song folder I have prepared. They then show up in the REAPER media bay and you simply slide each track in. All the bars and tempo changes if applicable should line up perfectly. This means you can play Jamstix, Superior Drummer or similar and it will always tie in with the song tempo

I always turn off any reverb in BIAB wave files as this can be added later in REAPER. There is also a useful tone adjustment if you extend the BIAB mixer out and this can make subtle adjustments like brightening up the drums etc.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: biab to reaper - 01/08/18 10:40 AM
Quote:
So say your song is at BPM 120 and you change to 125 at bar 10 this change would need to be Bar 12 in REAPER.

funkycornwall,

What I do is to set the project's start measure to -1, this gets BIAB and Reaper lining up with bar numbers perfectly.

Regards,
Noel

Attached picture Start Measure.JPG
Posted By: Scott C Re: biab to reaper - 01/08/18 01:23 PM
I have been passing the files to Realband and then exporting to individual name files much the same way Noel has been doing it. Also adding the -1 for the count in. Am going to try the straight drag and drop as suggested. Thanks for the suggestions..
Posted By: funkycornwall Re: biab to reaper - 01/08/18 08:29 PM
Good advice on the -1 setting. Will remember that. Of course I forgot to mention that if you have tempo changes etc then another way is to save a midifile from BIAB. Now if you open this midifile in REAPER all the tempo changes should be set correctly.
Posted By: casak Re: biab to reaper - 01/09/18 08:58 AM
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Simplest way is to drag tracks (individual or Master) out of BIAB ...........

Musicstudent how do you do this? I have not found in Biab how to export all the tracks at once in a folder of my choice.
Posted By: casak Re: biab to reaper - 01/09/18 01:52 PM
I found this way in BIAB (2018)

Attached picture Cattura.PNG
Posted By: sslechta Re: biab to reaper - 01/09/18 02:08 PM
Odd.... I just did the same thing and it worked.

I got to the menu from your screenshot via: Audio-->Export Song as Audio File from the menu.

EDIT: Aha... you edited out having the issue of "no data on the files" on that part of your post.... smile

Description: Screenshot
Attached picture temp.png
Posted By: casak Re: biab to reaper - 01/09/18 08:44 PM
selecta yes ah ah ah
Posted By: DeaconBlues09 Re: biab to reaper - 01/10/18 04:00 AM
FYI, I found that perhaps THE most important thing to be aware of in Reaper if you have multiple tempos and/or time signatures within the same song is to first select Project Settings (Alt + Enter on PC) and then under "Timebase for items/envelopes/markers:" change the default "Beats: position/length/rate" to "Time," (See screenshot)

***Note: this should be done before you import any audio or MIDI into your project!

Once you do this, the tempo of your imported items will not be affected by the projects overall tempo.

Also, when you want to import new items or record and speed up slow down or what have you without affecting pitch, make sure to insert split points at the beginning and end of each section that has/will have a given tempo. This will effectively convert each of the sections into items which you can edit, time stretch, change tempo at will w/o affecting the rest of the track.

Attached picture Reaper Timebase.PNG
Posted By: casak Re: biab to reaper - 01/12/18 05:08 PM
sslechta

I have now repeated the procedure that export direct from biab. I go to listen to the WAV files generated for each track and do not hear anything.

P.S. the files of the individual WAV tracks are muted: only the complete song file EYES.WAV is heard.

Attached picture Cattura2.PNG
Posted By: casak Re: biab to reaper - 01/12/18 07:16 PM
I have also tried this way but when I play the generated WAV file the progress bar of the player moves but I do not hear anything. the player works because if I listen to other wav files I hear the music.

Attached picture Cattura3.PNG
Posted By: rharv Re: biab to reaper - 01/12/18 08:29 PM
Change the view on the target folder (that holds the rendered files) to Details in Windows Explorer, so you can see the size of the files.
How big are the Track wav files compared to the one that plays?

Posted By: casak Re: biab to reaper - 01/13/18 12:42 PM
ALL THE SAME LENGTH

Posted By: Noel96 Re: biab to reaper - 01/13/18 12:55 PM
What happens if you activate the two 'normalize' options in the Export/Render audio dialogue window?
Posted By: casak Re: biab to reaper - 01/13/18 03:05 PM
Noel No NO :-))

in Biab and in Realband this song sound fine

Attached picture Cattura2.PNG
Posted By: Noel96 Re: biab to reaper - 01/13/18 04:59 PM
Noel No NO :-))

in Biab and in Realband this song sound fine

Yes I understand that.

What I'm asking, though, is what happens when you activate the two normalize checkboxes and then render the song. Does this still produce audio files that are silent?

This is a test worth conducting. Unless I've missed because I only skipped through the posts in this thread, this is something that you haven't yet tried (and it's worth trying).

Regards,
Noel

Attached picture normalize render 2018.JPG
Posted By: rharv Re: biab to reaper - 01/13/18 05:24 PM
ALL THE SAME LENGTH

OK, what does the waveform look like?
If you Open one of the 'silent' track WAV files in RB, does it have any signal?
Or is it a flat line (in the main Tracks view)?
Posted By: casak Re: biab to reaper - 01/13/18 09:09 PM
I opened in RB all the WAV files of the "silent" tracks, and all, as you can see from the attached images, showed their correct signals in the waveforms and by playing in RB I listened to the song as it was in BIAB

The problem is this: If I open a WAV track exported by BIAB directly with VLC player (I checked the VLC output device that is correct on ASIO) I do not feel absolutely NOTHING

Attached picture Cattura3.PNG
Posted By: casak Re: biab to reaper - 01/13/18 09:31 PM
SOLVED WOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

IN WINDOWS DEVICE was set 16 bits 48000 Hz (DVD quality)
I changed to 16 bits 44.100 AND NOW IT WORKS FINALLY

THANKS THANKS

Attached picture Cattura4.PNG
Posted By: sslechta Re: biab to reaper - 01/13/18 09:37 PM
Great! That's one of the settings we frequently recommend looking at. I guess that was not brought up this time.
© PG Music Forums