PG Music Home
This might give you some ideas...

You might have to rewind now and again - he goes through it pretty fast...

And here are a few "Vocal Only" video...

Interesting stuff. I enjoy his videos and yes he's a bit fast but that's mostly because he tells you what he does and what he expects with mixes and Fx's but not always much detail about instituting the effect, routing and other similar factors. You have to learn parallel processing, MS mics, buses an routing elsewhere and then be able to recognized what he's referencing if he says the only the word 'parallel' and nothing more about what's going on.

He does an interesting video on mixing with Slate CLA plugins he helped design and he created the presets. He does a mix using the presets and does very little tweaking beyond the presets and explains during the video that when he's mixing an actual project and using the Slate Plugins, that 90% of the time he uses the stock preset because he designed the preset to match the settings he uses in actual mixes 90% of the time. We see him doing a similar technique using the lead vocal EQ setup as his starting point for the other vocal EQ's.
I like what he said up front.... "you're never gonna hear it by itself"

Yep, you get it right and you get the BGH right but, it will always be heard in the context of the mix.
Will have to spend some time studying these vids. One of the most prolific mix engineers of our time with a credit list longer than all of our arms put together, across many genres. I thought he spent most of his efforts in modern rock but his modern country mix credits go back a long ways as well.
Thanks for linking to these floyd. Interesting, indeed.

Bud
© PG Music Forums