PG Music Home
Posted By: beatmaster song writing - 07/22/18 10:49 AM
Maybe interest someone ?.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/music/how-to-write-a-great-song-according-to-singer-songwriter-neko-case/ar-BBKVElv?ocid=spartanntp
Posted By: chulaivet1966 Re: song writing - 07/22/18 02:19 PM
Well...I checked out the link you posted.
Also, checked out a couple of her songs.

Personally,
I believe a good song is mainly a result of one's overall performance of the song and has little to do with the coherent lyrics, interesting subject matter or any perceived musicianship skills.
At risk of sounding like I'm over simplifying, a song either strikes a chord with the listening audience or it does not....for any number of reasons.

She stated:
"I realized I didn’t necessarily want to go verse-chorus-verse-chorus. I wanted to tell a story, and maybe the chorus wouldn’t repeat."

To me, the 'verse/chorus' and the arrangement of those components within a song is what makes the song "appealing" at all.
The (more?) poetic, story telling structure does not appeal to me and it could be a genre all it's own for all I know.

The narrator was right about one thing: "songwriting is work"

But, I've been wrong in the past.

Carry on....a good day to all.

Posted By: beatmaster Re: song writing - 07/22/18 03:43 PM
To me, the 'verse/chorus' and the arrangement of those components within a song is what makes the song "appealing" at all.
The (more?) poetic, story telling structure does not appeal to me and it could be a genre all it's own for all I know.

My thoughts too, good to get another opinion.

Thanks
Posted By: chulaivet1966 Re: song writing - 07/23/18 02:39 PM
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
My thoughts too, good to get another opinion. Thanks

Chuckle....well, that's a consensus of two.

Given the technology over the last few decades and the ability for anyone to post their song writing efforts it's clear to me there's countless genres and something for everyone to gravitate to.

For me personally....along with well thought out subject/lyrics and above average musicianship a song needs to truly move me or energize me.
Not in the emotional or political sense but in a bit more raw, energetic sense.
It's difficult for me to describe further at this moment. smile...need more coffee.

Yes...I'm particular about what I like and feel I'm odd man out with some of the opinions I have (or might) expressed on this forum.
Good thing we're all adults here. smile

My personal practice playlist would best describe my taste in music.

Back to it....

Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: song writing - 07/23/18 06:16 PM
Random quick thoughts:

- We've listened to Neko for years and much enjoy her.

- Literally hundreds of years of folk songs have relied on verse, verse, etc. Hard to imagine Bob Dylan ever happening w/o that traditional format.

- If a singer has soul we could listen to him/her sing the proverbial phonebook but an interesting, thought provoking lyric is huge icing on the cake...for us.

- This topic might work better in the songwriting forum

Posted By: beatmaster Re: song writing - 07/23/18 06:31 PM
Interesting food for thought, I don't know how to put it in the songwriting forum Bud.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: song writing - 07/23/18 06:39 PM
If you mean transfer it to the songwriting forum yourself - you can't do that and you'd have to ask a moderator to move it for. I doubt you meant how to start a new thread in the "songwriting" forum as it'd be the same way you started this thread in the "Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production" forum.
Posted By: beatmaster Re: song writing - 07/23/18 06:47 PM
Yea I thought you were hinting for me to move it..?.

No worries just me.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: song writing - 07/23/18 07:14 PM
Same here. I just thought that it was an interesting topic that might get more attention there...but 90% of the activity on the board is on the User Forum and Off Topics forum. Not that that's a bad thing.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: song writing - 07/24/18 11:12 AM
This is a really good fine - I'm a big fan of Neko Case too so it was interesting for me to get a glimpse into her process.

Thanks for sharing!
© PG Music Forums