PG Music Home
Posted By: Eddie recording from a mixer - 09/26/18 04:14 PM
I'd like to make a multi track recording using a Dell inspiron 1545, Win 10, BB2013/HD, and a Yamaha MG20XU mixer. The mixer has a usb jack and multi-track capabilites. Can I do this with a usb cable between the 2? What BB program would I use? Thanks........Eddie
Posted By: Kent - PG Music Re: recording from a mixer - 09/26/18 11:09 PM
Hi Eddie,

That mixer has 20 channels, but the audio interface built into it only gives you a stereo pair in and out, so it can't do multi-track recording, sorry.

You'll need to use RealBand, since Band-in-a-Box only has one audio track, and will need to record one track at a time if you plan on doing the final mix-down in RealBand, or record all the channels all mixed down to one stereo track.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
Posted By: Tobias Re: recording from a mixer - 09/27/18 05:22 PM
You will be able to record "multiple" tracks 1 or 2 tracks at a time. Your DAW will play back all the tracks so you can mix and edit them and you will hear them in stereo (2 tracks left and right according to your track panning/balance. Does that answer your question?
What you can't do with that mixer is record say a drum set with 5 mics and have all 5 mixer channels record on 5 separate tracks in your DAW all at once. Those 5 mics and channels can be recorded onto one or two channels at the most at one time.
You will need a multi-channel audio interface if you want to record "on to" more than 2 tracks at a time.
Well, technically, depending on your DAW, you could record "on to" more that 2 track at a time by arming more tracks but would would only be a copy of the same 2 tracks. And, there are not many practical uses for that.
© PG Music Forums