PG Music Home
Posted By: Tangmo Math is over my head. - 10/03/18 08:00 AM
I'm working on a piece that I want to apply Snipper FX to two hard panned tracks.

The style is swing 16, tempo 90. Both tracks are playing even 8th notes. I want to snip out every other 32nd beat for the length of each measure. I'll play with the frequency range I want to snip, but I don't know how to figure the length of each event.

Is there a formula for such things?
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Math is over my head. - 10/03/18 09:52 AM
Tangmo,

In what program are you doing your editing? How the length of a 32nd note is interpreted will depend on the display settings in place.

One thing to watch out for is that you mention that the style you are using is a swing 16 style. This means that each 1/8th note will be subdivided into a triplet of 1/16th notes rather than the usual two 1/16th notes. It is this triplet that produces the swing 16 feel.

This means that each 1/8th note will contain two triplets of 1/32nd notes.

In BIAB, a quarter note contains 120 ticks. This means that an 1/8th note consists of 60 ticks, that a 1/16th note consists of 30 ticks and that a 1/32nd notes consists of 15 ticks.

In a swing 16 style, the 1/8th note will still consist of 60 ticks but because of the triplet of 1/16th notes for each 1/8th note, this means that each note in the 1/16th triplet will contain 20 ticks (i.e. 1/3 x 60 = 20).

I'm not sure if these numbers will help you but they might offer some insight.

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: Tangmo Re: Math is over my head. - 10/03/18 10:17 AM
The FX is just referenced, so I don't think the DAW has much to do with it. Those numbers are indeed helpful. I'll just have to compute "ticks per second" at this tempo to make it work, I think.

Thanks!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Math is over my head. - 10/03/18 10:25 AM
If it helps, here's my reasoning to find out the time value of 1 tick.

1. A tempo of (say) 110 bpm = 110 beats per 60 seconds.

2. This means that one beat = 60/110 seconds. (i.e. 60 divided by 110)

3. Since a beat in 4/4 = one 1/4th note this means that...

120 ticks = 60/110 seconds

Thus...

4. 1 tick = (60/110) divided by 120 seconds

This time could also be converted to milliseconds by multiply by 1,000.

So the general formula for calculation purposes would be...

5. length of 1 tick = (60/song tempo) divided by (number of ticks per beat)
[units = seconds].
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Math is over my head. - 10/03/18 10:52 AM
In doing this math, be aware that a quarter note in BIAB is 120 ticks by default BUT you can change that value. Some people make it the same as their preference in a DAW where it is usually 960 for greater resolution. We asked some years ago for BIAB to have this option and they obliged.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Math is over my head. - 10/03/18 02:24 PM
Is it midi or audio?
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Math is over my head. - 10/03/18 02:50 PM
It's (they're) audio. The FX is asking for a specific amount of time down to the millisecond. I could probably render them as midi as that's what they are in BIAB.

Thanks again, Noel. I will tuck that into my folder.
Posted By: rharv Re: Math is over my head. - 10/03/18 10:20 PM
Maybe this will help with the math.
I decided to create this once so I could easily find MS to Tempo stuff .. and vice/versa etc.
http://tools.masteringmatters.com/

I called it a Music Calculator.
I originally wrote this because it seemed like it would be a helpful tool for music studios/artists. Plus it saved time for me personally.

BiaB may throw some curves into the result, depending on the style, but it helps with the actual math.
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Math is over my head. - 10/04/18 12:20 AM
Bookmarked. Thanks, Rharv. BTW, the answer is 333 per 16th.
Posted By: sslechta Re: Math is over my head. - 10/04/18 12:01 PM
Originally Posted By: rharv
I decided to create this once so I could easily find MS to Tempo stuff .. and vice/versa etc.
http://tools.masteringmatters.com/

Impressive sir, nice tool.
Posted By: rharv Re: Math is over my head. - 10/09/18 10:07 PM
Thanks guys,
Like I said, I made it because I got tired of redoing the math for certain situations on a regular calculator. So I thought a music studio calculator would be nice to have.
If someone else finds it handy/helpful; cool.

Heck, if you got another math issue that this calculator may help with, let me know. I get time to tinker with this app once in a while. I can add stuff if I know what would help.
© PG Music Forums