PG Music Home
Posted By: 2bSolo Question about live performance equipment - 10/05/18 10:33 PM
I do gigs at senior homes using tracks I create on BB. I record them onto my Jam Man and they are stored on an SD card.

I have been carrying my laptop as a back up in case the Jam Man malfunctions. Now I want to carry less, so I am thinking of buying a cheap tablet and loading the songs on it as wave files.

Does anyone know if a cheap tablet (<$100) will work for this? Is the processor fast enough? I would think so but I realize there is a lot I don't know.

Thanks.

2b
I think it would work. The cheapest device will play back music. I’m assuming you are rendering or recording your arrangements to WAV or MP3 files.
Why even a tablet?
Buy a pre-owned large screen Android phone that supports SD cards.
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 or 4 should do the job, plus they have user replaceable battery.

There are plenty of free audio players like amazing "FOLDER PLAYER" and others. Boot times are much faster than Windows tablets and overall much more stable if to use just as a playback device.

Windows tablets are trickier. Personally, I would go with Dell Venue 8 or HP Stream 7". Used, about $40-75. Or larger Dell Latitude 10 about a $100 used.

I have Venue 8 that I carry with me outdoors summers and winters. Never gave me any problems. Also, I picked up HP Stream 7" as a backup for $40. The nice feature about HP, that battery is replaceable.
Yep.... I didn't play very often live after I stopped playing with the house band...... but, when I did, I carried an iPod and the cords needed and let it roll.

Using MP3's, go with the highest quality files you can render from a wave. 320kbps is the optimal rate rendering down from wave.

The only reason I ever use a lower MP3 bit rate is if the song file is too large (over 10MB) for some of the song platforms I use.
I've used players CD/MP3 in the past, but now I prefer using my JamMan solo XT with an added SD card and FS3X foot switch. I have plenty of space and use WAV files. Plus the added advantage for me of the JamMan is that as a foot pedal, it is hands free. I can stop and start and scroll through songs using the FS3X. As a guitar player this works well for me, plus I think it's a better look to the audience...not a lot of button pushing between songs.
You can even use a battery operated media player (everyone use to call them MP3 players) you might have discarded in a drawer someplace. The biggest limitation will be memory since any memory player can play mp3 and wav files.

I don't know about you but I have three or four hidden away in a desk drawer. My Sansa 1 GB player even has the capability to play a playlist you can download from your computer over the USB port.
Posted By: 2bSolo Re: Question about live performance equipment - 10/06/18 05:26 PM
As always, you guys have great responses. I think I can get this done.

Thanks.

2b
Posted By: wish Re: Question about live performance equipment - 10/06/18 06:46 PM
Grab a second hand IPad, buy Onsomg from the App Store and that will give you your lyrics and you can load your backing tracks to each song. I do the same sort of seniors gig.
If you are PC based, I would avoid ipad at any means (I have been there)

1)Apple installs whole bunch of stuff on your PC like Bonjour and various updaters that run on every startup, slowing your PC.
2)Disgusting itunes and other horrible ways to upload your own files to ipad.
3)At times, if they upgrade OS, some programs would stop running.
4)No proper way to uninstall apple OS to previous version if something goes south.

just to name a few...
Posted By: wish Re: Question about live performance equipment - 10/07/18 09:28 PM
OnSong doesnt need iTunes to load backing tracks.
If updates concern you turn off the wifi when at a gig.
You can use your basic laptop to enter lyrics into OnSong and transfer BiaB backing tracks without iTunes via Dropbox.
There are plenty of "karaoke" stuff for PC that eats MP3/WAV files just fine.
Without Dropboxes, itunes, updates, proprietary connection cables, non (user) replaceable batteries and more unnecessary hype.

$50 tablet should solve this one smile
Posted By: edshaw Re: Question about live performance equipment - 10/10/18 10:49 PM
Walkman or I-Pod? Foot switch might be a problem.
© PG Music Forums