PG Music Home
Posted By: Tano Music Drum solo’s - 10/08/18 01:11 PM
I think I’ve posted this question elsewhere, but it’s timely again for me now..does anyone know how I can generate drum solo’s? I’m not sure it’s possible with BIAB..I’m thinking of a 2- or 4-bar solo, with energy and interest...just like the ability to generate a solo riff in BIAB. Style I’m working on right now is kind of a modern big band number at a brisk tempo, each section taking a solo. Any ideas or other tools I might investigate?
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Drum solo’s - 10/08/18 03:38 PM
My suggestion is to use midi drums for their flexibility.

1) If you're creating a song cover that has distinctive drum licks then download midi files of the song and copy the drum licks you want.

2) Several companies sell midi drum files. +++ Groove Monkey +++, +++ ProSonic Studios +++ and +++ Drums On Demand +++ have been around awhile and have good reputations for customer service. You'll have to dig deep for the Drum On Demand midi loops as they have moved more to featuring audio loops.

3) Create your own. If you're only needing a fill or solo for a few bars it's fairly simple once you've learned how to do it. Band-in-a-Box offers the Piano Roll View or PRV and the ability to enter midi using the computer keyboard as an aid to manually entry of midi. Sound On Sound magazine has a September, 2010 article +++ HERE +++
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Drum solo’s - 10/08/18 04:28 PM
Jim's suggestions are all good.

An alternative idea is to piece one together from the BIAB drum rolls.
Create an SGU with part markers on every measure ("B" will likely work best).
Export either the wav or the midi and pick and choose what to use (keep) in your DAW. Use just the "busy" stuff...
Try several different RealDrums.

There are also a lot of drums loops available free at

https://www.conversesamplelibrary.com/
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Drum solo’s - 10/08/18 09:20 PM
Thanks guys...I’ll work on those ideas!
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Drum solo’s - 10/13/18 10:20 PM
Aside from the above mentioned styles you can find a trade fours real drum style "Jazz4s by Terry Clarke, RD style #19 that I use very often. Wide rage of tempos.

Mike B.
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Drum solo’s - 10/13/18 10:23 PM
Her are some more, these are midi though, but with a decent drum VST they sound pretty good too.

JAZFOURB.STY. Jazz Fours B - Trading 4s Var.
All MIDI. Quartet. Tempo=180 (100-300)
Instruments: M-Acoustic String Bass, M-Ac.Piano, M-Jazz Electric Guitar
M1 Standard Drum Kit
M33: Acoustic String Bass
M1: Acoustic Piano
M27: Jazz Electric Guitar
Memo: Jazz quartet (piano, bass, drums, jazz guitar). Similar to JazzFours.sty, the 'trading fours' order is: At A and B, 4 bars band then 4 bars drum solo. T=100-300

JAZFOURA.STY. Jazz Fours A - Trading 4s Var.
M1 Standard Drum Kit
Memo: Similar to JazzFours.sty, this variation changes the 'trading' order. At A, regular jazz swing. At B, 4 bars drum solo, then 4 bars band. T=100-300

JAZFOURC.STY. Jazz Fours C - Trading 4s Var.
M1 Standard Drum Kit
Memo: Jazz quartet (piano, bass, drums, jazz guitar). Similar to JazzFours.sty, the 'trading fours' order is: At A and B, 4 bars drum solo - 4 bars band. T=100-300

Krupa4s2.STY. Krupa 4s 2 - Alternate to KRUPA_4S.STY
All MIDI. Quintet. Tempo=210 (150-300)
Instruments: M-Acoustic String Bass, M-Ac.Piano, M-NylonGuitar, M-Vibes
M41 Brushes Kit
M25: Nylon String Guitar
M12: Vibes
Memo: Alternate to KRUPA_4S.STY, 40s Jazz Swing - less busy drums in trading fours. 5 instruments: acoustic piano, acoustic guitar, acoustic bass brushes (sticks at B), vibes pad. T=210

Krupa_4s.STY. Krupa_4s - 40s Jazz Swing - trading four
All MIDI. Quintet. Tempo=210 (150-300)
Instruments: M-Acoustic String Bass, M-Ac.Piano, M-NylonGuitar, M-Vibes
M41 Brushes Kit
M25: Nylon String Guitar
M12: Vibes
Memo: 40s Jazz Swing - drums trade fours with the soloist in the B - section. 5 instruments: acoustic piano, acoustic guitar, acoustic bass brushes (sticks at B), vibes pad. T=210
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Drum solo’s - 10/14/18 08:35 PM
I think you have some pretty solid ways to go about it from the suggestions. That's coming from a drummer, if that helps at all?

Just wanted to give a +1 to the suggestions presented.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Drum solo’s - 10/15/18 11:11 AM
ditto on the samplers and loops.

You could create one using any midi drum synth.... BUT.... it really helps if you have a drummer's mind set when building a drum solo in a drum synth using midi.
Posted By: drutgat Re: Drum solo’s - 10/20/18 02:02 AM
Originally Posted By: Tano Music
I think I’ve posted this question elsewhere, but it’s timely again for me now..does anyone know how I can generate drum solo’s? I’m not sure it’s possible with BIAB..I’m thinking of a 2- or 4-bar solo, with energy and interest...just like the ability to generate a solo riff in BIAB. Style I’m working on right now is kind of a modern big band number at a brisk tempo, each section taking a solo. Any ideas or other tools I might investigate?

I just came across what I think might be the most realistic sounding, easy to use virtual drummer that I heard for a fairly good price (US $149, I think).

I think I am going to buy this (there is also a trial version).

It is called Strike 2 by Air Tech - I heard about the original version from another user on a forum here at PgMusic, and you can hear a demo here

Strike 2 Virtual Drummer

Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Drum solo’s - 10/20/18 01:47 PM
Realitone's +++ RealiDrums +++ can generate 1, 2, 3 & 4 beat fills or solos as desired. It requires either the free +++ Kontakt Player +++ or Kontakt program.
Posted By: drutgat Re: Drum solo’s - 10/20/18 08:40 PM
Jim,
Thanks for mentioning Realidrums.

I had not heard of that one.

On the occasions I have looked at Kontakt Player, it has seemed overwhelming. Would you say it is hard to learn?
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Drum solo’s - 10/20/18 10:11 PM
drutgat,

In this instance, no but with a few stipulations. RealiDrums uses the free Kontakt player. In this instance Kontakt is used as the motor/transmission (drivetrain) powering the VST so what you see and use is RealiDrums, not Kontakt.

If your computer operating system is 64 bit then your download will be 64 bit while if the operating system is 32 bit the download is 32 bit. Band-in-a-Box and RealBand are 32 bit products so you may need jBridge ($10 one time fee) for the 64 bit VST to work.

RealiDrums has two modes of operation, VST and standalone. As a VST RealiDrums will play whatever midi data that is on the Band-in-a-Box or RealBand drum track. You can also use the program in standalone mode to create midi data then import the data into Band-in-a-Box or RealBand.
Posted By: drutgat Re: Drum solo’s - 10/21/18 02:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
drutgat,

In this instance, no but with a few stipulations. RealiDrums uses the free Kontakt player. In this instance Kontakt is used as the motor/transmission (drivetrain) powering the VST so what you see and use is RealiDrums, not Kontakt.

If your computer operating system is 64 bit then your download will be 64 bit while if the operating system is 32 bit the download is 32 bit. Band-in-a-Box and RealBand are 32 bit products so you may need jBridge ($10 one time fee) for the 64 bit VST to work.

RealiDrums has two modes of operation, VST and standalone. As a VST RealiDrums will play whatever midi data that is on the Band-in-a-Box or RealBand drum track. You can also use the program in standalone mode to create midi data then import the data into Band-in-a-Box or RealBand.

Hi Jim,
Many thanks for this.

I appreciate you taking the time to explain this.
© PG Music Forums