PG Music Home
Posted By: Tangmo Setting Permanent markers in Reaper - 10/22/18 11:44 PM
I'm working on a re-make of Mr. Jay and I am going to need to do some "stitching" together of various parts. Don't ask me why...apparently that's how I did it before--BIAB provided the tracks, but I built the song structure at least partly in DAW.

The markers I have set in Reaper to show where edits need to be made moves every time I click on a portion of the track to "play from" and I need them to stay put FOREVER.

Can do? And how?

This will probably be a large part of my future work as well, so I hope it's not too difficult in Reaper.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Setting Permanent markers in Reaper - 10/23/18 01:43 AM
Tangmo,

Have a look at the below video. I found it very instructional when I was trying to get the most from markers.

The video is 15 minutes long and is about Markers and Regions in Reaper. It's by Kenny Gioia (my favourite Reaper teacher.)

In case it's useful information, Kenny's full collection of videos can be found at...

http://www.kennymania.com/reaper-videos/

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Teunis Re: Setting Permanent markers in Reaper - 10/23/18 08:55 AM
Hi Noël, as I wrote in the post http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=495136#Post495136 By using SWS extensions you can in fact automate a lot of stuff including the colour coding of Markers and more. Also automate Track colours and icons based on a track name. This makes setting up tracks and markers far easier.

I guess you could also add regions to that but I don’t bother as I don’t use regions. It only takes a couple of minutes to lay out a song with consistent colour coded tracks. One pass of the song to add your markers once again with consistent colour coding.

Just a thought

Tony
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Setting Permanent markers in Reaper - 10/23/18 07:45 PM
Very cool, Noel. Thanks.

Some of the vids I've watched in that series assumed more knowledge than I've had, but this one pretty much started at the beginning.

I reckon if they keep moving on me, I'll just have to get used to using the transport buttons.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Setting Permanent markers in Reaper - 10/23/18 08:21 PM
Tangmo,

My experience with the markers is that they stay put unless I add a tempo change before the marker (i.e. on the left side of the marker). Have you been playing around with tempo changes? That could explain it.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: edshaw Re: Setting Permanent markers in Reaper - 10/25/18 10:36 AM
Great find, Noel. Thanks.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Setting Permanent markers in Reaper - 10/25/18 04:48 PM
Originally Posted By: edshaw
Great find, Noel. Thanks.

Glad it was useful, Ed. Kenny got some great videos... he's my favourite Reaper tutor!

Regards,
Noel
© PG Music Forums