PG Music Home
Posted By: 2bSolo Another day in paradise - 11/07/18 10:06 PM
Today, I worked on a song. I did two versions, one with Real Drums, the other with Midi.

I wanted to import the song into RB. I didn't want all the BB parts, so I dragged those I wanted to the DragDrop station. The midi files made it to RB and I wanted to use Sample Tank on them. I went through the process, the track label indicated Sample Tank was selected. I pushed play, the VU indicated the part was there. But....no sound.

I downloaded Jamstix so I could hear the drum sounds. I installed it the recommended way. I didn't change anything. It said the sounds would be in Steinberg\VST Plugins. I wrote that down so I would remember. There is no sign of them in Steinberg\VST. The sounds wound up in Jamstix under data. I have no clue how to open them.

Does it really have to be this #$%**&^$## hard? I am smiling as I write this, but I am frustrated. PG is looking at the files but so far they have found nothing wrong. I have no idea why this is happening to me. Like I said, another day...

2b
Posted By: Sundance Re: Another day in paradise - 11/07/18 11:08 PM
2b if it's any consolation we all have days like that. Hope you got it sorted.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Another day in paradise - 11/08/18 02:22 AM
Did you set the drum channel on Sampletank to MIDI channel 10?

In BIAB, if you have a look under "Options | Preferences | Channels", it's possible to see all the channels assigned to the different tracks.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: 2bSolo Re: Another day in paradise - 11/08/18 11:53 AM
Thanks, Sundance for the kind words.

I am interested to know if users of other DAWs run into this kind of malfunction on a regular basis.
Posted By: 2bSolo Re: Another day in paradise - 11/08/18 11:58 AM
Noel,

The problem is in RB. I looked at the drums channel and it is set on 10.

Is there a table that shows what channel each instrument should be on?

Also, I know you are a Reaper user. Do you have annoying problems like this that happen on a regular basis?

Thanks.

2b
Posted By: MarioD Re: Another day in paradise - 11/08/18 02:27 PM
Originally Posted By: 2bSolo
Noel,

The problem is in RB. I looked at the drums channel and it is set on 10.

Is there a table that shows what channel each instrument should be on?

Also, I know you are a Reaper user. Do you have annoying problems like this that happen on a regular basis?

Thanks.

2b

The only channel that is set aside is channel 10. It is for drums in most all cases. One exception is Steven Slates SSD4/5. There you can have each drum on a separate channel or all on one channel and you can decide what channel(s).

I use Studio One Pro as my DAW and I virtually always change changes from BiaB's dedicated channels. I use a lot of VSTis and each VSTi track is set to channel one. But it is up to you to decide what channel you want to use.

Many times I will split a MIDI BiaB drum track into individual drum tracks. Each drum or cymbal will be on its own track with its own VSTi but always set to channel 10. You can use any channel but in cases like this I keep all drums/cymbals on channel 10.

I hope this helps.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Another day in paradise - 11/08/18 04:11 PM
2b,

Have you set GM drums on channel 10 in Sampletank as well as Realband? I wonder if this might be the problem?

Have a look at the image below.

1. I've loaded the demo song for ZZCountry.SGU (after turning off "Options | Preferences | Generation | Allow Realdraums".

2. I put Sampletank on the TOP SLOT (#2 - this is the only channel that handles soft synths).

3. I selected channel 10.

4. Next I located the BIAB GM Rock Kit and double clicked on it to load it onto channel 10.

When I tried this, it worked for me after I closed all my other audio programs, exited and restarted RB. (I was using the WAS driver in BIAB and I think that this stopped the RB audio from working.

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Another day in paradise - 11/08/18 09:43 PM
2bSolo,

I've provided a screenshot of Band-in-a-Box's default MIDI channel assignments. The left red box surrounds the track channel assignments while the right red box surrounds the four MIDI harmony channel assignments.

These windows can be accessed by pressing Ctrl = E to open the Preferences window and then selecting the Channels and Harmony button on the top row of buttons.

Attached picture Clipboard01.jpg
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Another day in paradise - 11/08/18 11:34 PM
Jim,

Thanks heaps for including that. I was intending to do just what you did, but I forgot in the whirlwind of racing off to work. Now I don't have to.

That's why I like this forum, through combined efforts we usually cover aspects of a question!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Another day in paradise - 11/09/18 12:19 AM
Noel,

Glad to assist.
Posted By: 2bSolo Re: Another day in paradise - 11/09/18 05:45 PM
Hope you guys don't get tired of hearing just how nice you are. Thanks.

2b
Posted By: fiddler2007 Re: Another day in paradise - 11/10/18 02:21 AM
Originally Posted By: 2bSolo
Hope you guys don't get tired of hearing just how nice you are. Thanks.

2b

guess not ... laugh

PS only Paradise is lost it seems, sadly costing far too many lives .... another lost Paradise long before in Kentucky:

Posted By: Noel96 Re: Another day in paradise - 11/10/18 09:29 AM
LOL!!!

Thanks 2b and fiddler.
Posted By: MountainSide Re: Another day in paradise - 11/11/18 07:19 AM
Best forum on the internet, no doubt about that!

Jeff
© PG Music Forums