PG Music Home
Posted By: Janice & Bud Doubling the snare - made easy. - 11/15/18 03:00 PM
Sometimes I feel (perhaps "am") such an idiot.

For years I've been frequently doubling the snare and sometimes the kick on our productions to have them isolated on a track for separate processing. My method is simple but tedious: I grab the kick or snare sound from the end of the specific BiaB RD file (hidden in the BiaB folders) and then lay it out on a separate track in my DAW (Logic Pro X).

It's easy to line it up with a few hits and then cut and paste it through the song -- very quick. BUT, RD's are played by humans and a snare that is perfectly aligned throughout will not match up for about, in my experience, 30-40% of the RD hits. That's where it get's tedious...perfectly aligning the ones that are off.

I've known about Logic's groove track feature for years but have never explored it. Today I made the RD track the "groove" track and checked my snare track to align. Kaboom. Perfect all the way through. I'm sure all the major DAW's have had a feature like this for a long time. But I just had it staring at me and never thought to use it. Duh!

Bud
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Doubling the snare - made easy. - 11/15/18 04:23 PM
They have plug ins for that
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Doubling the snare - made easy. - 11/15/18 04:50 PM
For Logic the feature is not a plug-in...just two clicks on the track headers.

I know there are a lot of Apple haters here but Logic Pro X is $199 for life and that includes all future updates, additional sounds, loops, plug-ins, etc. There are hundreds of sounds and plug-ins that I will never take a look at. Every time I take a sneak peek at some of the plug-ins I wonder why I ever bought a great percentage of the Izotope library that I have. Sometimes I get tempted to use some of the BiaB midi tracks just as an excuse to learn more about Logic's sound library. On our latest song I used a Mid SuperTrack Organ and a Logic B3 sound. When I loaded it up popped a Leslie Cabinet complete with the revolving speaker smile Pardon the ramble...just an old dog intrigued by new tricks.

Bud
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Doubling the snare - made easy. - 11/15/18 05:39 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
just an old dog intrigued by new tricks.

Bud

Yeah .... I was just yanking your chain
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Doubling the snare - made easy. - 11/15/18 06:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
just an old dog intrigued by new tricks.

Bud

Yeah .... I was just yanking your chain

And the old dog hobbled right in smile
Posted By: Samuel Davis Re: Doubling the snare - made easy. - 11/16/18 04:43 AM
I use Cubase. Not sure if it has "groove" track capabilities like logic but I did recently discover the chord track on there that works similar to BIAB for any MIDI or virtual instrument. I've used it on a couple EDM songs by probably could use it in conjunction with BIAB tracks to add extra virtual instruments to a song.
© PG Music Forums