PG Music Home
Posted By: paulpaul sax and vocal live and recording mixes. - 01/30/19 06:59 AM
hello
first of all i know the mix all depends on what gear im using but i am just looking for individual opinions /experience ,just a general guide of a mix that worked for them.

ive been on you tube and tried to read all about mixing but there is so much out there it just goes over my head.

what i am looking for is the sound of the sax players of the 50s, plas johnson,king curtis ,lee allen etc.

i think im looking for that slightly toppy raspy sound.
could anybody guide me with kinda general fx mix chain for recording and live playing.
i am fully aware that my playing style and gear come into it but im just looking for guide to start with.

also the same for the vocals, that 50s rockabilly style.
thanks for any tips.
Posted By: MarioD Re: sax and vocal live and recording mixes. - 01/30/19 11:26 AM
For the sax are you using audio or midi? If midi what is your sound source? What comes with BiaB? Kontakt? etc.

Off the top of my head I would add fuzz and reverb to an audio sax. Use animation on the fuzz so you can control the amount and where you want to add it.

For the vocal I would use a slap back echo/delay as well as a touch of reverb.

If using midi there are patches that have what you want. For instance the VSTi "The Saxes" by Sample Modeling is one of the most realistic saxes IMO. It has a growl function that adds exactly what you want. However it is on the expensive side. Kontakt as has some good sounding saxes. I'm sure there is other software available also that sound good.
Posted By: paulpaul Re: sax and vocal live and recording mixes. - 01/30/19 12:02 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
For the sax are you using audio or midi? If midi what is your sound source? What comes with BiaB? Kontakt? etc.

Off the top of my head I would add fuzz and reverb to an audio sax. Use animation on the fuzz so you can control the amount and where you want to add it.

For the vocal I would use a slap back echo/delay as well as a touch of reverb.

If using midi there are patches that have what you want. For instance the VSTi "The Saxes" by Sample Modeling is one of the most realistic saxes IMO. It has a growl function that adds exactly what you want. However it is on the expensive side. Kontakt as has some good sounding saxes. I'm sure there is other software available also that sound good.

thanks for input
its live tenor sax, im a bit of a growler,flutter tonguer honker..ive been using my setup for years and its generally the sound i like, i was just looking for more ideas really. the sound i get is ok but i dont know Why, i usually have a bit of reverb and very very slight delay with a bit of top.
i was looking for some settings of a chain of fx that sax players may use for their setups...again i know it depends what gear is being used...

thanks for your input mario.
Posted By: rharv Re: sax and vocal live and recording mixes. - 01/30/19 10:06 PM
For 50's type sound like you mentioned I'd lean toward a few possibilities
(as you mentioned the gear being used matters);

Using a mic that gives the desired sound in the first place (something like an SM-57 for the old school sound)
Using a tube preamp if possible for the old school signal
Using EQ to cut the lows and bump the upper midrange (to get that pretty much 'AM' sound)

From memory sax in the 50's was pretty defined in a mix, sonically.
To me the key would be finding that correct frequency range in the EQ for the sax track before worrying about reverb or other FX. Using the right mic helps .. if you can experiment with these first, that might be a good starting point.

A sax sounds much different when recorded with an LCD vs an SM-57 .. or even an SM-58 can sound different from the 57 .. especially when different preamps are introduced.
Just my thoughts.

© PG Music Forums