PG Music Home
Posted By: David Snyder New BIAB 2019 VST Question - 02/03/19 09:57 PM

I will be getting BIAB 2019 soon and I have a question about the new BIAB VST that runs inside a DAW so I will know ahead of time.

I run everything off the hard drives (I use Audiophile.) As far as I know nothing is on the computer.

But I think most VSTS are made such they they only work on the drive with the operating system on it, when you scan for VSTs. I think, but am not sure, that I once tried to load/scan a VST from an external drive folder but it did not work.

If the VST is a dll, can I simply paste it to a folder in programs, and if you where is the .dll located?

If I do it that way, and it is loaded as a .dll in Sonar, will Sonar be able to then "find" BIAB" itself which will be located on an external hardrive?

Pardon me if this is a really stupid question. But I am stupid sometimes.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: New BIAB 2019 VST Question - 02/03/19 10:34 PM
When you install the VST, it will offer to place DLLs of various types in all the traditional places the DAWs look. All were on Drive C by default.

Small clarification: even when you run BIAB entirely from the supplied USB files, there are a few files written to your boot drive. These include fonts and the activation info.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: New BIAB 2019 VST Question - 02/03/19 11:42 PM
There is one idea but multiple implementations of the Band-in-a-Box plugin. There are 32 and 64 bit VST2s, the newer VST3 for DAWs and AAX plugins specifically for the DAW ProTools. There are plugins that are registered as a VSTi and plugins that register as an effect. Last there is a standalone 64 bit plugin that can be used outside the DAW.

As Matt stated the plugins are contained in their own Windows installer executable utility program. Each file is around 6 megabytes. The VST will automatically be placed in the C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VstPlugins folder and is about 5.8 MB.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: New BIAB 2019 VST Question - 02/04/19 04:56 PM

Okay Thanks Matt and Jim.

So I guess when I get it, I will just install it to my drive, scan it as a VST and let it roll.

I assume when I open it, it will ask me where the BIAB program is though, right? Otherwise, it would search the computer drive by default right. Otherwise how would it know?

This issue has never come out for me before hence all the dumb questions.

Another factor, I have two BIAB hard drives plugged in, 2016, and whatever the current year is. The 2016 drive has all my samples on it.

So I guess I need to be able to tell that VST where to look for the program and make sure it picks the right one.
© PG Music Forums