PG Music Home
I will be using BIAB mainly to do custom jazz recordings, and render standards. That said, I want to control the drums better in terms of timing, and rhythmic patterns.

What's the best way to go about this while sounding authentic? I figure I probably can't edit real tracks, but could edit MIDI and use a sample library for the sounds.

Running on MAC, and I have logic + many plugins if I want to bring those things into the mix.
use the drum grid editor in Real Band to create the performance you want - might be a bit longwinded but with midi you have total control
BiaB MIDI drums are very good. Plus as you said easily editable.

You will need a good drum sound source but there are plenty of them available ranging from free to expensive. Google MIDI drum VSTis and you will find many. Also google MIDI drum loops for available MIDI loops.

I use MIDI drums because I can get the rhythm and drums sounds that I want. I use BiaB drums because I can easily edit them. Many times I will add or write write my own parts and/or use MIDI drum loops from Groove Monkee:
https://groovemonkee.com

Good luck.
I tend to use only audio tracks on most of the things I do these days.

With a good DAW like Sonar or equivalent, it's easy to edit the audio of a drum track. There are also some programs.... I think Melodyne has this feature although I don't use it... where it can convert the drums and some other things to the equivalent midi.

I have also used some AI based drum programs like Jamstix to create the drum parts. There are a number of fairly strong drum synths that let you do custom drum tracks that sound exceptionally realistic.

Another trick I've used is to add midi drums into the drum score using the audio in one track and the midi drums properly EQ'd to sound like the same kit, in a different midi track and use volume envelopes to regulate which one you hear and when.

For most of my songs. I just use a straight up BB or RB drum track.
© PG Music Forums