PG Music Home
Posted By: Tangmo Recording with VST or DX FX plugins? - 06/14/19 12:30 PM
Is it possible to set up virtual FX on a track armed for recording that will allow them apply the FX to a live recording in real time?

Specifically, I'd like to set up a noise gate and limiter on the track and have it "working" during the recording. Until I get whatever passes for a "studio" built, my recording environment is a bit noisy. I'd love to set up a noise gate to eliminate everything below a certain dB level. And if I can do that, then a limiter might also be nice so I don't have to have one eye on the meter, one eye on the lyrics, and one eye on the baby monitor to tamp down those pesky transient spikes.

I figured I'd ask before I tried.
I'm not sure how that would be done unless you are using a full feature DAW that lets you do that. I know I can do this in Sonar to monitor my guitar if I use a guitar VST but.... the latency is often killer. That is the primary reason I have rarely used a guitar VST.

I've recorded in some noisy environments.... my last studio in my old house had lawnmowers and weed wackers running, trucks on the road, kids playing, and trains rolling through town..... not to mention TV downstairs.... and it never presented much of an issue to me that I had to consider using VSTs and FX in real time to monitor the feed.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Recording with VST or DX FX plugins? - 06/14/19 03:33 PM
What audio interface are you using? My Roland Octa-Capture has a gate built into it.

Also some guitar amp VSTs have gates built into them. Amplitube and Kuassa have gates. I'm sure others do also.

Here is a list of some free and paid guitar amp VSTs:
https://masters-of-music.com/list-of-best-free-and-paid-guitar-amp-sims/

Most of the free ones have noise gates.

I can record my guitar directly into Studio One Pro and have effects on with no latency. YMMV as this depends on your system.

Good luck
I had a Behringer X32 and it would. I have a Soundcraft Signature 22 MTK and both the regular Signature 22 model and the 22 MTK will. So likely the other Signature models will too. I have a Zoom r24 multitrack recorder and it will. I have a Tascam DP 24 multitrack recorder and it will. I had a Tascam 2488 neo MKII multitrack recorder and it would. I have a Presonus Studio 192 8 channel preamp/interface and it will and it also has a DSP chip built into the hardware so it always works with zero latency as do all the mixers because you monitor from the mixer rather than the software.

So, if you have the appropriate hardware, the answer is yes
Posted By: rharv Re: Recording with VST or DX FX plugins? - 06/16/19 11:47 AM
Recording forum, so assuming this OP does not mean BiaB.

Most DAWs, including RB do indeed allow real time FX while recording. As long as your system is up to the task it'll work.

In RB it is called Input Monitor (first image), and requires good ASIO drivers to use without latency.
After enabling you need to select that input via the track's DXi FX menu (second image) to hear it and/or record it.
Once selected you can your FX to the four slots as on any other track.

Attached picture IM-Monitor.jpg
Attached picture IM_select.jpg
© PG Music Forums