PG Music Home
Posted By: Tangmo How can I make a sitar sound more sitary? - 06/26/19 03:41 PM
I was having fun with changing midi patches for midi lines created in BIAB. I changed one instrument to a "sitar". I've had it run through a pretty high-quality soft-synth sample bank as "sitar". The results have the general tone of a sitar, but lack some of the characteristics of sitar play--that "twang", for lack of a better word. They are just not built into the midi.

My old hard-synth had a "sitar" patch, but it also had effects built in that made whatever midi instrument I ran through it sound More sitarish. So I'm asking about FX that can be applied to the .wav file. Surely there is an effect or combination of effects that more closely replicate sitar-play. I don't really know what typical guitar FX do, precisely. Chorus? Flange? What would you try, or what has worked for you already?

Garritan Aria Player`s World Instruments has a few sitar/tambouras I`ve used to change midi guitar tracks- good authentic sounds. A bit pricey for a one-off, but for a midi user something to consider.
Posted By: Teunis Re: How can I make a sitar sound more sitary? - 06/26/19 10:52 PM
You could try adding a heap of reverb with a bit of distortion. Then equalise to increase the top end (cut the lower end). Also flanger, phaser or chorus laying in there.

Just a thought

Tony
Posted By: CeeBee Re: How can I make a sitar sound more sitary? - 06/27/19 04:08 AM
There are loads of free sitar vsti's available "Samsara Sitar" or Syntar - Free VST instrument. Google is full of them.
reverb
delay
compression
chorus

that's what i would try.

but i'm no sitar player
© PG Music Forums