PG Music Home
Posted By: Larry Kehl JUST another FYI - 07/18/19 12:17 AM
I have ZERO interest in buying or using one of these hopefully that will preclude folks 'splaining their pet live rig performance tools - I don't gig and have no interest in performance tools, other then the tech par of them.

Having said that, this popped-up in a discussion in my Fractal FX III forums - it simply intrigued me and I thought maybe one of you folks that do GIG and use audio backing tracks and/or MIDI backing MIGHT be interested - in case you had NOT seen or heard about it.

https://cymaticaudio.com/lp-16-productpage/

Larry
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: JUST another FYI - 07/18/19 12:38 AM
Sweetwater has it for $400. [I'm not giving a judgment about it.]
Posted By: lambada Re: JUST another FYI - 07/18/19 11:11 AM
Thanks. It looks delicious. While we're on the subject of sexy gear. Check out this newbie from Zoom. No price yet.

https://zoom.co.jp/products/production-recording/live-sound-recording/zoom-livetrak-l-20r?_ga=2.46690350.849010242.1563459006-2047572206.1526977514

I loath Zoom's stupid videos that tell you nothing except that you're not cool!
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: JUST another FYI - 07/18/19 11:21 AM
I wonder about the purpose of the Zoom unit. If individual musicians have their own control over their monitor mix, how can the sound engineer make things right for the house and especially avoid feedback? Plus, look at the amazingly increased amount of cabling needed. But what do I know?
Posted By: Larry Kehl Re: JUST another FYI - 07/18/19 07:06 PM
Matt it's just G.A.S. - LOL

Larry
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: JUST another FYI - 07/29/19 01:38 PM
This is cool. I'm a live band player and don't need it but I'm well aware of the big problem with using two track or mono files as backing tracks and that is getting a good mix. You really need individual multitracks making it the same as miking a live band. This unit can take multitrack files directly from a hard drive or an iPad which is another big deal. Tons of live performers use iPads for setlists, sheet music and lyrics.

I'm surprised at the cost, I expected it to be twice that. If it works as advertised $399 is a steal.

Bob
Posted By: rharv Re: JUST another FYI - 07/29/19 07:53 PM
PT and RB also playback multitrack wave files .. just sayin

Also, with something like a 1010 or Focusrite 18i20 you can send any SEQ or multitrack out taking advantage of the 8 separate outs, so there is some flexibility with that route too.
/pun intended

Attached picture MultitrackWave.jpg
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: JUST another FYI - 07/29/19 11:18 PM
If you're using a Windows, Mac or Linux computer, laptop or tablet +++ Audacity +++ imports and plays multi-track audio song files.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: JUST another FYI - 08/02/19 12:42 AM
That's very true but that's not the point of this unit. Of course anybody can use a computer on stage if they want. And any DAW including RB can route multitracks out through an interface.

The question is how many performers want to use a computer on stage? What's the cost of a good laptop and a 16 output interface? Assuming this thing works as advertised which I'm not saying it does, for $400 and a $32 256 gig thumb drive like this one Sandisc loaded with more song files than you would ever need you can route 16 mono multitracks or 8 stereo pairs to a mixer for your gig.

And you do this without trying to navigate a small laptop screen with a mouse, without messing with PC configurations, worrying about glitches, some drunk knocking an expensive laptop on the floor, the battery dying or weird noises coming from the power supply, all that baggage that comes with using a laptop live on stage.

Bob
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: JUST another FYI - 08/02/19 10:17 AM
<<< Of course anybody can use a computer on stage if they want. And any DAW including RB can route multi tracks out through an interface. >>>

For those that already have a good analog mixer with effects and they are comfortable with its operation, for $550, they can bump the track count up to 24 and gain 24 track recording as well. And, as you say, all "this without trying to navigate a small laptop screen with a mouse, without messing with PC configurations, worrying about glitches, some drunk knocking an expensive laptop on the floor, the battery dying or weird noises coming from the power supply, all that baggage that comes with using a laptop live on stage."

A zero latency hardware system at half the price of comparable Zoom L-20 or Tascam D-24

Cymatic Audio uTrack24
© PG Music Forums