PG Music Home
Besides needing to upgrade my 2018 BIAB this December, I'd like some suggestions for some fairly good (and user friendly) home recording software. Preferably UNDER $200.00, if that's possible.

I especially desire that the software include PITCH CORRECT or, if it doesn't, an inexpensive pitch correct add-on suggestion.

TIA
You need to specify if this is for Windows or Mac. If Mac, Garage Band. If Windows, try downloading DAW demos to see how you like the workflow. Since you mentioned December, I assume you have a PC.

Cakewalk by BandLab is excellent and is now free (formerly many hundreds of dollars). I’m not sure about pitch modification; I use another utility for that.

And, have you tried RealBand, bundled free with BIAB (Windows version)?
Hi,

I use Reaper to record, arrange, mix and produce my songs.

https://www.reaper.fm/

A Reaper expert, Kenny Gioia, has heaps of fantastic and very-easy-to-follow videos from 'how to get started' through to 'expert'.

http://www.kennymania.com/reaper-videos/

Regards,
Noel

P.S. If you want to have to have a listen to some of my songs, click on the Soundcloud link in my signature below.
True. In addition to Cakewalk (formerly SONAR), there are many users of Reaper here. I think that’s also free to download, last time I checked.
Yes, PC/Windows.

Reaper $60 for the license. A great price. smile

Thanks for the replies. Enough to get me started. smile

cheers
I like Reaper. There are a couple of things you might want to consider:

You can try Reaper free for as long as you need. They say 30 days but if you hit the Still Evaluating button, it still works. I did that until I was sure.

Reaper doesn't come with instruments (if it does, I haven't found them)so you will need some VST's to play your midi files. If you download Cakewalk (free), you get the TTS-1. It has a decent piano and a couple of basses. For drums, you can use Westwood Drums (think I paid $5) and MT Power Drums (free).

Reaper does have one gigantic advantage for me: I have had only one crash in about 200 hours of work.

Good luck and have fun.

2b
What is wrong with RealBand? You already have it and I always said if you don't have a favorite DAW use Realband.

Here are some free pitch correction software:

https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2011/07/25/bpb-freeware-studio-best-free-pitch-correction-auto-tune-vstau-plugins/

Don't ask as I have no experience with any of these. But the price is right and one or more may work for you. Most are for both 32 and 64 bit software.

Good luck.
In the Mac world its hard to beat Logic Pro X
Its got every feature imaginable and a large user community.
Plenty of YouTube videos to help you get started and challenge you as your skills grow

Its right at the limit of your budget.

You will never need another DAW.
Originally Posted By: MarioD
What is wrong with RealBand?

It is clunky, slow and limited. Plus it has an old GUI.

I always suggest starting with a real, modern DAW. They are no harder to learn than RealBand and will take you much further!

Reaper is an awesome DAW to start with. Modern and full featured. Easy to learn but tremendous depth if you need it. Large community. Inexpensive/free. Upgraded frequently. Tons of add-ons. Supports all common plugin formats. Great tutorials available.
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
Originally Posted By: MarioD
What is wrong with RealBand?

It is clunky, slow and limited. Plus it has an old GUI.

I always suggest starting with a real, modern DAW. They are no harder to learn than RealBand and will take you much further!

Reaper is an awesome DAW to start with. Modern and full featured. Easy to learn but tremendous depth if you need it. Large community. Inexpensive/free. Upgraded frequently. Tons of add-ons. Supports all common plugin formats. Great tutorials available.

I agree completely. Plus it is only 32 bit. Note that I do not use RB; I use Studio One Pro but that is not in his price range.

As I don't know what his DAW experience level is I suggested using it as it is free. Some people love and use RB. We both are not in that category.
Originally Posted By: rokq22
Besides needing to upgrade my 2018 BIAB this December, I'd like some suggestions for some fairly good (and user friendly) home recording software. Preferably UNDER $200.00, if that's possible.

I'll throw out these considerations....all are free:

https://www.tracktion.com/products/t7-daw
https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk
https://softdepository.com/search/?q=aud...ASAAEgIVC_D_BwE

NOTE: I've been with Cakewalk since 1994 and have no working experience with Tracktion or Audacity.

I know you're just starting out but "user friendly" is very subjective smile.
So, whichever one you choose just give it a chance and accept the initial learning curve protocols.
We've all been there with our own (various) DAWs of choice.

All of these choices have their place in the recording context....it's a matter of checking them all and determine which GUI/workflow works best for YOU.

Happy hunting....

I have used Cakewalk Sonar (now Cakewalk by BandLab) for years. More recently I also use Reaper. I tend to use them for different purposes. However, Cakewalk as a free product is brilliant but for manipulating audio Reaper is better and easier IMHO. For editing MIDI Cakewalk is more intuitive. Cakewalk also makes notation fairly simple.

Both Cakewalk and Reaper have all the plugins needed for creating a good mix. (And then some). Cakewalk has good intuitive channel strips in Reaper you need to create your own (there are plenty already set up but you need to add them)

When it comes to instruments there a many good ones out there both free and low cost. Kontakt player comes to mind as a free one. If you get Cakewalk some pointed out you get TTS1 which you should be able to use with BIAB. There are a number of free synths if you are into this.

Learning a DAW is something that can be transferred to other DAWs both Reaper and Cakewalk have heaps of tutorials.

I would recommend subscribing to a Groove 3 (groove3.com) for a while. They have a heap of training videos and books on all aspects of music production from writing a tune to mastering and selling the song. They cover many DAWs, heaps of plugins, how various aspects of audio work... IMHO it is the place to start as many of the DAWs folks here speak about they have covered in great detail (but then which comes first the chicken or the egg).

That’s my two bobs worth. Have fun

Tony
I play guitar, but all I need for the rest of my sound is BIAB, no?
Thanks.

Hey, I'm clueless and have been out of the recording loop for years (I bought 2018 BIAB but didn't do a thing with it, then my motherboard got fried. Picking up the PC next month).

I'm just trying to catch up before it is too late. (Hell, maybe it's ALREADY too late. I'm 68).
It seems that some here prefer Reaper over RealBand. Must be a reason for that.
Oh my, over 9 years ago and I suck more NOW then I did THEN. (Before BIAB) frown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUhwf6ttIPw

And over 11 years ago. Remember 4-track analog recording? (And played back on a karaoke machine).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8BqFSTNfpo

Sorry, just felt like doing that.
Like your guitar playing.

Yep, use BIAB to generate backing tracks. I prefer using Realtracks but others prefer MIDI. Either way is great, but, you need to spend more on BIAB to get Realtracks. IMHO it is worth the extra to get the Realtracks. Then again for good MIDI you need to spend money on good instruments.

Then in BIAB it’s usually just a matter of finding a beat, setting the tempo, entering the chords then exporting the parts. I prefer to edit parts be it MIDI or audio in a DAW where you can cut and paste or slide stuff about (others don’t). I use RealBand where I want to change a bar or so of audio. Use the MultiRiff feature to change how a part is played (but that comes later).

I generate the backing tracks. Then “on stage” I use the backing tracks and put my guitar through an amp sim (TH3) into the PC where I can balance the guitar to the backing. I use a Behringer FCB1010 MIDI Foot Controller to control rig setups, stomp boxes, volume etc in the amp sim. All then goes into a PA along with my vocals. All quite simple and I think nice.

Tony
I liked Real Band because of its simplicity. I'm one of the few people who like the interface. It's easy to edit with and has some nice effects.

The problem that led me to give up on Real Band was crashes. I rarely had a session that didn't have a crash. It would also Initialize the Arrangement Function right in the middle of a session and it was difficult to get the program back on track. I moved to Reaper and haven't had these problems since.

To be fair, there are some users on this forum who don't have any problems with RB. If you want to stick with RB, you might want to PM JFord or Jazzmammal; they seem to do well with it.

2b
Sonar and Melodyne.

Sonar is now free as others have pointed out.... Melodyne isn't. But in the world of pitch correction.... there's Melodyne, then there's everything else IMHO. Melodyne is worth the cost if you're looking for transparent pitch correction.
I'm a Reaper user. Last time I checked Audacity, it was amazing how it has
continued to improve. Many very talented professional coders contribute to the source software. They provide a creative outlet and a relief from the workday world. PMG programmers work for such a cool company, I don't think they feel that need.
I'm just trying to catch up before it is too late. (Hell, maybe it's ALREADY too late. I'm 68).

I'm 73, I don't want to hear it. It's never too late, it's all in your head, if you believe it then it's true. Or something like that.

You obviously are 20 years out of date so forget all these suggestions and comments about how Real Band is slow, clunky whatever. You have no clue about any of this. I did a full album of music with my sister on vocals using RB. RB is free, works well enough and you don't know enough to have an opinion on anything at this point.

There is nothing easy about DAW's for someone in your position. It's all new and confusing no matter which one you chose so you may as well work with what you've got.

If you struggle with RB, can't get it to work, want to throw it out the window then maybe it IS too late for you because trust me, RB works fine. Other DAW's can be more elegant, look prettier, may do certain things faster (or not) but right now none of that matters. RB will do everything any other DAW will do. What's that you ask? It will record 48 tracks of audio or midi as well as any other DAW would. Other DAW's have unlimited tracks. Do you think you will be recording more than 48 tracks? I doubt it.

It will sound just as good. It works with Biab files which no other DAW will unless you use the Biab plugin and you do NOT want to go there just yet. The plugin is way above your pay grade at this point.

Just get familiar with RB then you'll have a starting point to begin talking specifics about one DAW vs another.

Bob
<< Remember 4-track analog recording? >>

Remember it and it's still the best option for any beginner.

<< I'd like some suggestions for some fairly good (and user friendly) home recording software. >>

Spend a day with a hardware recorder and you'll know it's software and every physical control in and out, through and through. You passed the learning curve 11 years ago. Modern hardware multi track recorders are as easy to operate as the multi tracks from 20-30 years ago. Units today are a lot more efficient, feature laden, editing is done digitally and the units have much higher specs than non digital multi tracks from the past. Modern digital units can be connected to a computer by USB providing easy transfer of BIAB generated tracks and also gives you access to more advanced editing of a DAW if desired or necessary.

A Hardware recorder's durability, stability and lifespan is decades better than any DAW.

A Hardware recorder purchased used within your desired price range can provide you 4 - 8 simultaneous inputs.
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal

There is nothing easy about DAW's for someone in your position. It's all new and confusing no matter which one you chose so you may as well work with what you've got.

If you struggle with RB, can't get it to work, want to throw it out the window then maybe it IS too late for you because trust me, RB works fine. Other DAW's can be more elegant, look prettier, may do certain things faster (or not) but right now none of that matters. RB will do everything any other DAW will do. What's that you ask? It will record 48 tracks of audio or midi as well as any other DAW would. Other DAW's have unlimited tracks. Do you think you will be recording more than 48 tracks? I doubt it.

It will sound just as good. It works with Biab files which no other DAW will unless you use the Biab plugin and you do NOT want to go there just yet. The plugin is way above your pay grade at this point.

Just get familiar with RB then you'll have a starting point to begin talking specifics about one DAW vs another.

Bob

Harsh, but a fair assessment.

Yes indeed.... any DAW is going to be a steep learning curve. And.... as has been pointed out, some of those have steeper learning curves than others..... however, if you have BiaB you also have a DAW in Real Band. It is a fairly basic, but useful DAW for someone starting out. I use Sonar because I have been using it for a very long time and know it. My learning curve with Sonar was quite an adventure in frustration at times.... more times than I can count.

Dig in to Real Band and learn how to use it. I think you will find it quite capable of most of the things you want to use it for. As you learn how to use it, and if you encounter any real roadblocks to your work flow....at THAT time, and not before, you will have the knowledge you need to find and choose a DAW that does exactly what you want.

Carry on and press RECORD.

EDIT: When you start using RB, be sure to use the tutorials and help provided by PG. And when you have a question or encounter a problem doing something, there is always the REAL BAND forum where other users will come to your aid and provide you with advice and guidance on how it works.
Sorry to have given the impression that I am a total NEOPHYTE! I'm not. I have actually recorded BIAB/RealBand stuff previously and actually figured out how to save the stuff and convert it to MP3. (Or was it MP4?) Yay!! My PC is currently in the shop. Motherboard problem.

But that stuff was done a few YEARS ago and I have forgotten most everything and am, thanks to the memory cells, almost literally starting over from the beginning. frown

Here are some things I did with BIAB/RealBand (not hard to figure out which ones weren't) and, hell, some of it isn't that bad. (Won't be hard to figure out why I asked about Pitch Correct. Darn vocals.)

https://soundcloud.com/kiddcarvin

This one ain't too bad. "Fine Fine Fine - Status Quo (work in progress)" (Thankfully I didn't add the vocals. Planned on it. Again, thus the question about pitch correct.)

I actually have a bunch of others I did with BIAB/RealBand for karaoke purposes but didn't upload to SoundCloud. And I'm serious about the memory issue. Heck, I don't know if I did the recordings with BIAB or RealBand. Or both. I guess that is why I said I was a beginner.

Again, not a total neophyte.

Reading the replies, and thinking about what I have actually done in the past, I might just stick with BIAB/RealBand. Maybe all I need to do is refresh my memory on the stuff then find something to help with them vocals. It doesn't have to be PRO quality anyhow. Just good enough to get some ideas and songs out there.

cheers
I suspect you'll go from BIAB through Realband and on to Reaper. Maybe only using Realband for a couple of things. I have to agree that many things are more intuitive and easier in Reaper and it's rock solid. To start with just work with BIAB and get your money's worth out of that. Once you really know BIAB, you'll see some cool bits and bobs in Realband (although Multiriffs etc are now in BIAB.) Then Reaper and the VST world are likely to appeal. Finally, you can get some iZotope mixing and mastering software although it's a bit expensive. If you want to work live and are worried about pitch, you could do worse than look at TC Electronic hardware. Lot's of their products have built in pitch correction and harmonies etc.
With what you already know about multi track recording, you should take a look at this Tascam DP03SD Multitrack Recorder .

You can easily import BIAB instrument tracks (midi or RealTracks) into the unit and add your original parts to the backing tracks. It really is as easy as the old cassette Porta Studios. The 44.1/16 CD quality matches the BIAB exported tracks. It has editing features, Punch in/out, with Onboard DSP Effects and Processing. You can literally create a CD from start to finish without a computer for anything other than generating/rendering your BIAB tracks.

You are not limited to only 8 tracks because it can bounce tracks. It has a quality mastering features that is the same as used on the higher cost DP24/32 series hard disk multi tracks and there has recently been a substantial price drop making this fairly close to the price you're looking at.

I'm positive you can produce higher quality recordings straight out of the box with this unit (or the less expensive DP008 or DP006) than you will get using any DAW you are unfamiliar with it's operations. With the price drop, it's also worth the price difference.

Don't be fooled by it's appearance. It's not a toy.
Wow, an actually PHYSICAL PRODUCT!! cool

Thanks for that.

And I think that is just what I'll do. Hell, I just sold my Boss ME-80 because, MAINLY, I really didn't want to do the reading to learn how to do it all after not using it for a year or two!! I'll just use my tc electronic "DARK MATTER" pedal and be done with the stuff. (A delay pedal would be nice though).

So I just dug out my old "MARANTZ PORTABLE CASSETTE RECORDER PMD101" and had a chuckle. I used to try learning guitar solos with that with my cassettes. TRULY OBSOLETE!! But thye thing is that I really don't enjoy doing everything on the damn computer! click, click click as nauseam.

Anyhow, I think your suggestion is the best of both worlds!

Thanks, I'm gonna get it. laugh

cheers
Another "PHYSICAL PRODUCT"! laugh

lol. And I just saw this YESTERDAY. Progress?

https://electrek.co/2019/08/21/harley-davidson-shows-off-new-electric-bike-design-as-in-electric-bicycle/

So, Charlie, would I also be able to get a vocal enhancement plugin and use it with BIAB/RealBand and/or the Tascam?

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/best-vst-plug-ins-vocals/

Liking the first one I saw there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQmveSrJOEM

"Keyboard Control"? (Wish I could play them). @7:53 That is insane!

I'm getting excited again. laugh

But maybe it's the beer.

<< So, Charlie, would I also be able to get a vocal enhancement plugin and use it with BIAB/RealBand and/or the Tascam? >>

Yes for both. BIAB and RB work with most VST's plus you have hardware choices and can also use hardware or software vocal enhancement and pitch correction with the Tascam or any other hardware recorder easily with the ones that have aux sends and returns. You can use hardware/software with the one's that don't as well, it's just a bit more involved with the routing.
not sure about the negatives for RealBand. It integrates with BIAB perfectly and I've never found anything I couldn't do. it's free if you have BIAB and unless you are a power user i can't see the point in mastering another piece of software. RB is a good way to start and only when you find you are frustrated that it won't do something you want is it time to look for another DAW.

for the average home recorder like me creating BIAB tracks, editing them, generating solos, and then recording vocals and my own instruments both as midi from a keyboard (with access to soundfonts, HIGH Q patches and third party fx incl 64 bit using jbridge) and live from a guitar DI'd and edited with amplitube what do forumites think i am missing (and therefore so would the OP) by just sticking to RealBAnd?
© PG Music Forums