PG Music Home
Posted By: rokq22 Question for REAPER users only - 08/14/19 08:18 AM
So the songs we create and save with BIAB can be further mixed, edited, etc. with Reaper?

TIA

P.S Yes I'm THAT clueless about DAWs. frown

P.P.S. But EVERYONE is a beginner at one time or another. smile
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Question for REAPER users only - 08/14/19 09:39 AM
Quote:
EVERYONE is a beginner at one time or another. smile

Yes.... I remember when I first started with BIAB. I never thought I'd ever manage to get the hang of it. Then I got Sonar (a DAW by CakeWalk) and I had to go through another learning curve.

Moving from Sonar to Reaper was not to bad because I had some understanding under the hood!

So to answer you question...

What I do is to create a song in BIAB.

I then save each of the tracks as WAV files and take them to Reaper. Prior to saving the tracks, though, I set the mix to "Flat, Dry and Center" -- this is an option that's found by right-clicking on the "Master" track.

NOTE: "Flat, Dry and Center" means that the track is saved without reverb, without panning and without tone adjustment. I prefer to use plugins in Reaper to do those things.

Once the tracks are in Reaper, I add effects. Then I adjust the volume and create a balanced mix.

User DeaconBlues but the below short tutorial together that might be useful for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUKGWZhJ2vo
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Question for REAPER users only - 08/14/19 09:46 AM
Also...

Back in 2009, a user (Shockwave199, Dan) created three videos that showed how he went from BIAB to Realband and then into Reaper. While all the programs have grown since that time, the underlying principles will still be the same.

Here's a link to that series of posts...

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=111484

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: 2bSolo Re: Question for REAPER users only - 08/14/19 09:59 AM
I do the same thing Noel does.

Sometimes I take a midi track to Reaper. Then I assign a plug-in so I have sound. If the track needs more editing, I use Reaper's piano roll. You can do this with any midi track but it works particularly well for drums.

There are some free or cheap plug-ins that work well in Reaper. Also, there is a good guitar VST that works on Wav files. It's in the JS set of effects. It's called Convolution Amp Cab Modeler.

2b
Posted By: Hugh2 Re: Question for REAPER users only - 08/14/19 11:12 AM
Hi
Just to add to that,the 2019 version of BIAB has Biab as a plugin .
If you go to preferences in Reaper and to plugins prefs and scan for the biab vst then you will be able to open ur saved biab box directly into reaper.The wav files will be generated onto individual tracks for you to use.
Another option is to save your backing tracks as midi or xml files on your computer and load them as a media file into reaper.It will distribute them on individual tracks and you can put a virtual instrument of ur choice on them .
Spitfire audio do a set of amazing free virtual isntruments called Labs by the way.urs Hugh
Posted By: DrDan Re: Question for REAPER users only - 08/14/19 11:21 AM
I can't add much more other than to say, BIAB and Reaper are a perfect music making combination. Years ago this was a secret, but after all this time the cat is out of the bag.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Question for REAPER users only - 08/14/19 06:52 PM
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Years ago this was a secret, but after all this time the cat is out of the bag.

Hey Dan! I remember when it seemed to be just you and me who spoke about Reaper. Those days are long past now!
Posted By: rokq22 Re: Question for REAPER users only - 08/25/19 02:22 PM
Thanks for the replies and I really WAS prepared to go with Reaper. Until someone suggested this in another thread:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/...01db88e00ed8232

I'll just do what I used to with BIAB/RealBand and finish the stuff with that.

cheers
Posted By: mgrey Re: Question for REAPER users only - 08/26/19 06:47 PM
The dp008ex is very similar, but lets you run off battery.
© PG Music Forums