PG Music Home
Volume is back to front, freguency is vertical, panning is horizontal, color shaded blobs are the labeled instruments. Great for beginners. Fun and cool to look at for anyone interested in mixing. Various genres shown. These were part of a course from back in the 80s/90s still relevant. (Each video is about 5 mins so less than 10mins to see both.)

And a few more

great visual representation of a mix.
I have always had a visual of a mix in my head; of my own songs and songs that I enjoy.

Lately I've been listening to a genre that I guess is called 'dreampop' and 'shoegaze'.

It's quite different to the ear - almost like you are listening to a band performing in a big canyon with different lead vocals and instruments coming 'forward' out of the murk.

For some reason, Russia is one of the hotbeds of this type of music. A couple of things that I like about it:

1. Usually a female singer is involved, with a light tone, airy, not nasal or demanding.
2. It seems that they use lots of baritone electric guitars, or Bass VI guitars, going from sparkly clean to heavy distortion and back. I think Duane Eddy and The Cure would be fans of this genre.
3. Everything gets reverb.
4. Ride cymbals are totally o.k. in this genre, where it seems like most pop and rock have forgotten the rides.

All this to say, I would be curious as to how Mr. Gibson would visualize these mixes.

One of the murkier bands is called Life on Venus: https://lifeonvenus.bandcamp.com/
I'm liking the Life of Venus cut. The vocalists are treated in the mix more as instruments than people.

The sound is just a teeny bit too dirty for my taste but I listened through to the end and am sampling other cuts. It wouldn't take much change at all for me to really get into this.

I love atmospheric music and Life of Venus is pretty creative.
© PG Music Forums